Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Diary of A Bitchy Black Woman and Her Hair #2

I have been itching to blog since I last did on Monday.

But I have just not had the time to! It's been crazy.

At first it was annoying me, but then it began to excite me because I knew that this evening I would, some way or some how, find the time to talk about all the random things I've been experiencing/ noticing/ whatever-ing.

Just now, on my way home, aside from the song I was singing in my head, I heard the following:

"To station cleaner. To station cleaner. There is some vomit to clean. Come and get the vomit."

"To the man at the bottom of the escalator. Please remove yourself from the station. The police have been called and they are on their way."

"There is a delay on the Victoria Line between Warren Street and Brixton due to a person lying under the train at Green Park."

Is this what London is normally like? Or have I just not been listening for a long long time?

Now... to yet another discussion about my hair.

But it's probably not the kind you're expecting.

Earlier today, I went to my "beauty therapist" for a quick "beauty treatment".

In actual fact, I went to this thin and over-worked Chinese (or is it Korean? I'm not sure) woman for an under-arm wax. Ha! There! I said it!

I only started having my arm-pits waxed a year ago. Prior to then, I had done what I thought all Nigerian women did with their arm-pits. I had been using razors. But I got tired of having to use a razor every other day (and I am not even hairy!!) so I thought I'd give this wax thing a go.

The first time I had it done, was in Lagos, where I happened to be last July. I had been walking past the new "beauty spa" right next door to my hairdresser for close to three weeks at that point, and thought, on one random afternoon, "what the heck, I'm going to do it jo!"

By the time the lady was done, my throat was hoarse, and there was no husky or sexy vibe to it.

I had yelled the place down. I knew I'd been yelling, obviously, because I'd been opening up my mouth to actually do the yelling. But I had no idea how loudly I'd been yelling until I walked into the salon next door to have my hair done, and my regular torture-master/ self-appointed body-fat monitor/ "hair therapist", Joseph, said "Nawa oh. That thing was painful abi?"

I got sucked into waxing my arm-pits from then on (which is why I'm still doing it and hating it now), because they all promised me (and by 'they', I mean everyone who has ever either come close to my pits with wax, or with whom I've swapped waxing and hair-removal tips), that it would get less painful with time. Another promise was that the growth-rate of my under-arm hair would slow down, and I'd soon be able to go weeks on end without waxing.

Bull Shit!

In the last year I have discovered that there is no such thing as a pain-free wax, and that when it is close to being that time of the month, or when it is that time of the month, or when it has just been that time of the month (basically all the damn time), a woman's skin is more "sensitive" to waxing.

I have also 'discovered' that my hair grows back "very quickly" (even though, like I said, I am not hairy), and that my hair grows in different directions. This, apparently, is why it needs to be ripped from my hair holes (are pores hair holes? I got confused about what the right term was just as I was typing now) with brutal, mind-shuddering, scream-inducing force!

Where my "beauty-therapist" works, they know me well, because I scream the place down. My name is often difficult for even Nigerians to pronounce (although I dunno what the hell is so difficult about it, it's not like my name is Ogheneginigba, or something like that). But everyone at Busy Body (what an odd name for a "beauty spa" I hear you say) knows my name. They know how to say it, they know how to spell it, and they recognise me instantly, even after a two month-long hiatus, when I arrive with different glasses, different hair, different everything... even when I am a different me!

19 comments:

CandySprinkles said...

Lol! Arm-waxing is on my list of things I am yet to try out. I've always heard good things about it though but after reading this, I dunno anymore. If it's as painful as you say it is, I think I'm crossing it off my list. I'm guessing I should also cross out brazilian waxing.
Btw, it will be interesting to see whether or not guys comment on this post. Lol!

Bitchy said...

I was thinking exactly the same thing - which guy is gonna comment on this post? Meanwhile they're the ones who decided women shouldn't have hairy arm-pits, legs, arms, butts etc. Lol!

? said...

@candysprinkles
Let me see...I think Bitchy likes smelling the best. But you would have to excuse me as this post appears to be waxed by #1.

@Bitchy
Hence I am speeding off to read #1.
I'll be back jo!.

Anonymous said...

Saw your link on pseudo's blog. Think I'll just wait till he/she gets back.

Bitchy said...

Lol! As I established yesterday, Timmy a.k.a Pseudo is a weirdo. I too am waiting for him to come back!! Xx

TheAfroBeat said...

Why the differing standards for men and women? why the hell is it ok for a guy to sport an amazon jungle in his underarm, while women have to go through such antics (btw, i die b4 i get my armpits waxed...i know bitchy's pain threshold is 10x higher than mine so i can only imagine) to keep the skin looking sleek et sexy.
NEW RULE: Men! keep it trim too ok!!

as for ur deafness over the past coupla months bitchy, that's what it is coz that stuff's been happening everyday...although i perosnally believe u made up the "come clean up the vomit" one...hehe.

Admin UD said...

eeya sorry bitchy for the torture you went thru.

@misan. sory sir. I dont spot bushy armpit. COme to think of it, hair hardly grows there sef. I dont know where yu got that notion(erroneous) dats its ok for guys to hav bushy armpit. Or where yu kidding? :(

Unknown said...

TOTAL madness. I can't believe you do that. I would rather have a filling... in my teeth that is...or indeed in my armpit. Rather that then wax them. I'll stick with razors thanks. It means a couple of minutes every other day, but ah... how painless it is...

Moody Crab said...

Lol....you had me in stitches! Abt the waxing, try upper lips! Extremely painful! More painful than brazilian. I always scream whenever I get my upper lips or bikini line waxed and I've been waxing since 2005. Yet, I can't stop going...Sounds weird, but I kinda like the pain.

First time, I had my bikini line waxed, I couldn't sit still for over 2 hrs. But it gets better (I mean the pain) or maybe I'm just used to the pain.

Like I said, I'm weird.

I like your blog btw

diary of a G said...

black woman are still the most beautiful woman to walk the planet
stay fly

Mimi said...

waxing waxing waxing...when will i conquer oh you fear of waxing..

if threading cant do it, i depend on good old 'remington'. i will try it someday but....that day is still faaaar faaaaaar awayyyy

Bitchy said...

misan, the vomit thing was real, i promise.

and like ugo said, which guys do YOU know? i've only ever seen the amazonian arm-pit once on a guy and it was grooooss!

snuffy, that's exactly what i thought!! until everyone asked me why i was still being a cave-woman and wasn't waxing!

moody, thanks for stopping by. saw what you said on the afro beat as well. like misan said, feel free to email info@theafrobeat.com and we can get to talking! :) oh and the BIKINI line? gosh... did that twice, only the bare minimum. i howled in pain. my lady even drew blood (ok fine it was a tiny dot) and told me it was okay!!

diary of a g, i agree that black women are hot. the hottest women on earth? i don't think any one race could lay claim to that title.

mimi, i miss my remington!! lol.

Life through rose-tinted glasses said...

lol babe ur just tew funny mehn!!

Anonymous said...

". . . Come and get the vomit."

lol, why does this make me miss London so . . . really, I find this type of uncensored honesty endearing and entertaining.

Me waiting on the platform for the late train. Loudspeaker guy: We apologise for the delay of the ** train to Victoria station, but the driver has slept in. He is on his way to the station and the train will be arriving shortly.

Yes, it is a pore, but hair holes is a much funnier term.

Naija Vixen said...

LMAO!pele at the torture you endured oh!

jadedjune said...

lol @ ur post......

LMFAO!!!

Anonymous said...

Just use veet, underarms and legs only. Everything else can be left au naturel, afterall who is going to see it? You've rid yourself of the Yote, abi? Ehen.

Anonymous said...

maybe i would go n try armpit wax o

? said...

come to think of it, Bitchy I can actually picture you smellling the best:) I too have always been interested interested in smelling my best