Thursday, September 07, 2006

Bye Bye Bummie


Its gonna be Friday in just under an hour, and I canNOT believe this is the first time all week I've been free to blog. The workload has been ridiculous. Every day literally, I've had to do some form of work at home after class, and it has been the most annoying thing ever. I suppose you could ask why I'm so surprised that I'm expected to work this hard at law school, but then you've gotta allow for the fact that I only recently graduated from a relatively chilled-out school where it was pretty much up to you whether or not you did your essays, or showed up to lectures, or went to classes, or did anything vaguely school-related all year round. The only 'sanction' you would face if you took the piss, was an automated email demanding that you (the bum who had been couch-bound for an insane amount of time and who was clearly one of the laziest things crawling on the planet) find some way to get in touch with your tutor to explain your absences. What an ingenius (and cost-effective) way to deal with truancy.

Tonight, for the first time all week, I watched tv. Who knew that an exercise as basic as channel-surfing would one day fill me with the immeasurable amount of joy I experienced this evening. Not only did I watch TV... No.. I watched something I have been waiting for, for a long time.. the return of Grey's Anatomy!!! My excitement was quelled somewhat by my brother's revelation that I had in fact missed the season premiere, which aired last Thursday (I honestly cannot remember what I was doing that day).. but nonetheless I was, and still am, ecstatic!

My evening just got a thousand times better! Given that I have regained control of the remote-control tonight, and that Grey's is over, I'm on 352 i.e. Magic. And what're they playing? Lionel Richie's "My Destiny".. a song that I love, cheesy as it is. Yaaay! I'm so happy. Life is gooood.

I noticed something about these lawyer-types this week, which has highlighted the fact that I'm really outta my depth here. That whole myth about lawyer/city-types working hard but then playing very very hard was never really something I gave much thought to. I couldn't understand, when I was on the outside looking in, how it was possible to party and club and drink after having slogged away for 11 hours straight! [Ronan Keating's "If tomorrow never comes" Oh my God! I LOVE Magic!!] People on the LPC are phenomenal. Fine, they're not exactly working from 9 till 8pm, but they do go home each evening to a mountain of i-tutorials (these ridiculous lectures on DVD that I am, somewhat worryingly, beginning to enjoy and look forward to) and workshop prep tasks (which consist of pages and pages of boring textbook reading, followed by mind-numbing regurgitation exercises). Despite this however, they can be found, every evening without fail, at Parker Macmillan, where they will remain until 10 or 11pm. Now, I don't know about you, but when I know I have to get up at 7.30 in order to make it to my 9 o' clock the next morning, and that I have at least 4 hours' worth of reading to do before walking into that class, there is no way it would ever cross my mind to make "a quick stop" at a bar! And what's even more amazing is that if they're not going for drinks with one another, then they're going for drinks with non-LPC friends, or having people over for dinner, or just doing something.. anything.. to avoid having to spend one unbearable minute in peace and quiet at home!!
[Will Young - "Leave Right Now".. this is incredible!!!]

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, there is no middle ground with these people. They flit from hard work to hard play and back again, without ever feeling the need to slow down. I on the other hand, operate in a completely different way.. The middle ground is where I dwell.. it is where I fester and "kotch" and create dents and moulds in my couch. Without the middle ground, I would explode.. No joke. And to be honest, I probably would've exploded tonight if another phone call (like the one I got yesterday) had come through pleading with me to come down to some bar where "every one" was going to be. I still can't believe, that in "the spirit of sociability", I actually got out of my pyjamas and kissed goodbye to a night of golden relaxation (like the one I'm having now) and made it down to meet the FTs. I did have a good time, but I know for a fact that I would've had as good a time on my couch. Yes.. I'm sad, but so what?! I like to be at home. I like to sit in slouchy tracky-bums and talk to friends on the phone (and to PFB " Possible Future Boyfriend"- more about him later) and blog and watch tv and just bum! Despite my best efforts to bring the others round to what they now see as "the dark side", it looks as though I'm gonna be saying goodbye to this very comfortable way of living, if I'm to stand a chance of gelling and being immersed in LPC/lawyer-ville. The aim for now though, is to reach a compromise. I intend to secure at least one night mid-week for the sole act of bumming (and yes.. it is an "act"!!), as well as the weekend. Is that too much to ask for? I don't think so. I'm prepared to say bye bye to bummie for the sake of being sociable with these people (who I actually really like).. but like all other junkies and addicts, I need to be weaned off the bum drug ... slooowly.. very very slowly.
[Extreme - "More than words".. I can now die a happy bunny! Magic ROCKS!!]

No comments: