Wednesday, November 07, 2007

L'Italien, Un Serveur et Des Cheveux Faux

In as brief a manner as possible (yeah right), I am going to tell two different stories.

The first, is about how I came to discover what the problem was with the Italian.

And the second, is about how the Italian came to discover that my silky long locks are not in fact mine.

On Saturday, several hours after my darling E-Weezy hopped off the Eurostar and after we stuffed ourselves silly, I got a call from the Italiano inviting us to dinner with him and some other Italianos who were in Paris visiting him. E-Weezy and I arrived at the restaurant in Montparnasse (that was such an unnecessary detail wasn't it?) a little late, as per usual. After a somewhat lukewarm (try frosty) reception from the other Italianos who looked mighty shocked to have two dark-skinned senoritas descend unannounced upon their dinner party, we sat down and the outrageous flirting with Oga P began. I did all the right things, I tossed my hair left and right, fiddled with my fingers, batted the eyelids... the works! I believe E-Weezy even took notes on her blackberry. It was a masterclass in flirting, of the sort only to be witnessed once per lifetime.

Half way through dinner (which I thought was going very well) I noticed that the Italiano's hand (he was sitting across from me) was under the table. I then noticed that the girl sitting to his right (across from E-Weezy who was sitting to my left) also had her hand under the table. Now, even though I have never ever been good at statistics, it was pretty damn obvious (without having to crane or stretch my neck) that there was absolutely no way their hands could be where they were, and not be touching.

At that, the evening took a turn for the worse, I lost my appetite, and E-Weezy was forced to listen to me moan and groan for an extensive period when we got back (slightly earlier than planned) to mine.

The second story I am going to tell played itself out in front of my very perplexed eyes not too long, a mere three hours ago in fact.

After 2 days of ignoring the Italian, trying my hardest not to flirt or laugh at his stupid jokes, I was forced to spend the afternoon alone with him today as the other girl in our class left yesterday. We went to the brasserie round the corner (because he is in love with their sausages), argued over whether to sit inside or outside (no prizes for guessing where I wanted to sit) and then ended up sitting outside. The waiter, who is very friendly (surprising for Paris isn't it?) bounded over, and began to chat to us. He moved the heater closer to us because I moaned to him about the cold. And then, he turned to me and said (in French) "Your hair will be okay, yes?"

I froze. After a sneaky glance at Oga P (who was looking very confused), I somehow found my voice and said, with as big a smile as I could manage, thinking that would silence him - "Yes it'll be fine, thank you".

But NO he wasn't done.

"So they are extensions yes?" he said next, with a huge grin on his face. I can't remember now what the word for extensions is in French, but I assure you that it was not a word that the Italiano knew.

Again I glanced at him, again the perplexed look.

"Yes" I said.

The waiter continued, "Oh I can't wait to tell my friend. She is black like you, but from Senegal, and she pays so much for her hair from Brazil. I can never tell that it's fake. Where is yours from? Brazil too?"

"No, California" I said.

And thus the conversation continued, ending only after I had explained to the waiter, Oga P and all the other patrons in the establishment, the differences between human and synthetic hair, and Brazilian and American hair, and my reasons for choosing to go with American rather than Brazilian hair.

The waiter eventually left, I thought for a split second that a heart attack was on the ascent, but then the Italiano turned my attention to something else, and we continued our chit chat.

We talked about several things, even about my hair, and then he said (completely out of the blue), "Tu as un fiancé à Londres?"

"No I'm not engaged!" I said, even though I understood perfectly well what he meant (his French is hilarious. He speaks Italian, Spanish and English and so throws in whatever European word he chooses when he can no longer be bothered, simply because he knows whoever he is speaking to will be able to work it out).

"Do you have a boyfriend in London?" he said again, this time in English.

"No," I said. Then, in as light a tone as I could muster, "And you, you have a girlfriend yes?"

To which he said "No".

To which I said "Huh?"

To which he said "Huh?"

To which I then said "But your friend that my friend (meaning E-Weezy) was speaking to on Saturday, wasn't she your girlfriend?"

And what was his reply?

"No, whatever gave you that idea? She's one of my best friends."

I didn't know what to do at this point. I didn't know whether to go into the hand-holding, or into my spying and subsequent rage when I saw what I thought I saw on Saturday.

And so I kept quiet.

And then he said, "So you don't have a boyfriend in London? How come?"

I told him how come.

And then he said, "So basically, what you need is a boyfriend like me."

-----

And there dear friends, is where I have decided that I am going to stop. But before I go, I shall leave you with two words, and two words alone. And they are...

Hot (and) Cake!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

more more more ... did he kiss you?

Sugabelly said...

Ah!!!!!!!! You must continue this story oh!! How can you stop there of all places??? No, no,no... Come back, or Thunder will fire your internet connection, wherever you are..

Anonymous said...

Bitchy,
You are one funny kid. I like you and I don't even know you. Sha, don't mind all these amebos looking for gist...just tell me what happened afterwards. Won't tell a soul, promise. :)

-oo-

Anonymous said...

Hey B..

Talk about a cliff hanger. There must be a part deux. is there a part deux? or are you leaving the wonderful life of you to our imagination.

'Hot' and 'Cake' whether they are verbs, adverbs, adjectives or figures of speech the interpretations are all good and i guess you finally got what you wanted...

Good on you

Ciao bella

Zena said...

Bitchy got her Italian
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Why? oh!my gosh, I'm excited. How dare you stop there? o.k maybe it's better, I can create my own ending, sounds like a fairytale...I can't believe u actually obliged the waiter and answered his questions...well what were u going to do?
Please don't leave us like this

anevisa said...

Hi Bitchy,

you wanted italiano, you got italiano...where is frenchy?

HOT and CAKE! concluding story, pls.

guess you know what a naija man would do immediately?

Anonymous said...

so. what happened next?????
have u decided?
did u kiss?
did he try to feel u up so he could get close enuff to figure out just how the fake strands of 'american' hair were attached to your scalp.....???

Anonymous said...

You are just fabulous!!!! lol.... How do you get yourself into such situations...Why in the world did the waiter start talking about your hair... that's just so funny. By the way this story hasn't stopped here o!!! I'll call you soon xxxx

Idemili said...

And she's back!

(I swear I keep leaving comments but none seems to get in. What's up with that?)

Ekoakete said...

LOL. You ehn... Well lucky for you it looks like one way or the other, Italiano isn't bothered about your extensions.

Anonymous said...

It's been a week since u updated ur blog

I must say that it's kinda cool.
U know we do miss your gist but it goes to show that italiano is luving you up for real. No time to pacify the masses. Just gazing into each others eyes for hours on end. Chi!! luving is good o!
enjoy!

Naapali said...

Hotcake where are u?

B said...

YOU TEASE!!!