Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The 'L' Word

An hour ago, I watched 'Stranger Than Fiction' - the movie starring Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffmann. It made so happy, I wandered about my house and into every bedroom singing/murdering The Darkness' "I believe in a thing called love" at the top of my lungs, in a ... umm ... husky (but very sexy) falsetto.

A few days ago I watched 'Out of Africa' - think Meryl Streep and Robert Redford frolicking in the Kenyan Savannah, on Safari, slaying lions and harvesting coffee beans.

A few days before that I read Khaled Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns', which is possibly the best book I've read all year. The only reason I didn't blog about it then was because I didn't think I would be able to do it justice. That, and the fact that I was being lazy... as usual.

But anyway. What do these movies and books have in common I hear you ask?

Love.

Storybook love.

Fairytale love.

Not the love you get told to make do with simply because it does not exist/will never find you/would only be within reach if you intended to shack up with a white guy!

(By the way there was a lot more to these stories than the theme of love, but this is my blog, and I am allowed to overlook things like tragedy, war and burqas for the sake of making a point.)

Some weeks ago, I got a phone call from a friend I hadn't spoken to in a long while. My friend lives in New York and has a job that pays him shit loads of money but which robs him of basic privileges like phone calls and birthday cards, so this call from him was a rare and precious opportunity. We talked about his life, same old, and then about my life, crisis crisis help me please. His response to my crisis (please don't roll your eyes, I really was distraught) was that I should get real, and that happily ever afters do not exist. He then set about talking me through all the couples he and I had ever had experience of - friends, parents, parents' friends. We leafed through the dreadfuls, the only speak when they have to's, and the we're doing okay, at least we're friends, but this isn't what we spent those nights in our teenage beds longing for's.

Needless to say, the picture wasn't pretty.

At the end of our conversation, I decided to step back, be real, and stop arguing. Who was I kidding thinking that a happily ever after was sitting in a pot at the end of my mud-streaked rainbow, just waiting to be discovered? I grudgingly accepted that there was no happily ever after waiting patiently for me. No perfect pairing. No half with which to form a seam-free whole. And for a while, I got by thinking like that.

And then I went and did a foolish thing. I spent a week doing little else but feasting my eyes on Cleopatra and Marc Anthony, Scarlett and Rhet Butler, Clark Kent and Lana frikkin Lang!

And now I've gone back to being me.

Queer,

Naive,

And pretty damn stupid.

Now please, forget for a moment that you now think of me as a very silly, very naive little girl. Forget that, and answer my one very simple, very basic question:- Surely every love story out there cannot just be the by-product of some writer's overactive imagination? Would anyone really be so cruel as to create something so easily believable and so wonderfully desirable, when they know that such a thing could never be? Would they?

What does a girl have to do to get her hair washed beside a babbling brook around here?

19 comments:

UndaCovaSista said...

What's up with this anonymous dude? He/she posted the exact same 'comment' on calabargals blog.

Anyway, Lol @ "Not the love you get told to make do with simply because it does not exist/will never find you/would only be within reach if you intended to shack up with a white guy".

Me, i'm a single woman in her 30's for the exact same reasons you've mentioned i.e. i want the real deal. And trust me, right about now, white men are beginning to look gooood!

Seriously tho', don't compromise on what you want. Different people want and need different things out of relationships, therefore, to another person, this kind of luurve you speak of might appear unrealistic, but it is not! It is what you want and therefore, believe that it is what you will get, darnit!!!

Atutupoyoyo said...

I believe it was H.L Mencken who said 'Love is a triumph of imagination over intelligence'

Your imagination will always allow you to scale far greater heights than your intelligence possibly could. Having said that, a babbling brook runs adjacent to my apartment and should fair fate avail the right woman to me, I would have no qualms about washing her hair…...repeatedly. One of of my favourite love scenes is from Jason's lyric where Allen Payne washes Jada Pinkett's feet. Even I fell in love with him for that.

Unknown said...

BELIEVE my dear! Movies are all about it because it is the only thing that makes life GREAT. Of course, it is rare. And movies make you think Love is hiding around every corner. I know 3 couples who have been together 20 years plus and who are madly in love. But I have had to search.

Of course my refusal to settle means I am still single and I am getting to a point where I'm thinking I will probably remain this way. Black men, white men, whatever their colour, I still haven't found my One.

But better to be single than stuck in some awful marriage. Don't despair! At least we still have a chance of finding LOVE. Those girlies who settled and got married to some dude who can buy them refrigerators, lost that chance a long time ago...

Jaja said...

Oh come on My Bitchy, dont be silly..
You Know I love you for all times...
And I dont mind you having me say it here before the whole earth!

Jaja said...

And yea, Even I have got this brakish stream... a lil far from my flat.

I ll wash your hair there if u like..

culturalmiscellany said...

Well I'm damned if I'm going to settle for anything less than a guy who loves me. I don't care if I wait for years, it'll be worth it. Never ever give up your dreams Bitchy.

Ekoakete said...

I often wonder about that movie quality love and my conclusion is that's the ideal, the top end spec. Do you HAVE to have the top end spec? Hmnnn... life is a compromise. Love grows as well, so that box that may not be checked now, may be checked many years down the line. And love is always being tested, always. Life will throw in tests of all kinds to your love, good times, bad times, gossip, mother out-laws...

Anonymous said...

"They do not love that do not show their love."

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Anonymous said...

It's there babe... one just has to jump through fire hoops to find it(... or maybe thats just another movie...

Anonymous said...

what, no cynical anti-love comments? people are getting mushy!

i think the concept of love is as scary as that of life without it.. and yes, people will just make up stories just to entertain - think star wars/trek.

Mimi said...

hiiiiiiiiiiiii babe! (gosh i need to stop all these extended his)

been a long while!

awwwwwwwwww....i like your naive self :) maybe bcos i am like that sometimes?

Jeff Stankard, Group Publisher said...

Read the Power of One for true inspiration. And sometimes, it's the woman who buys the fridge, not the husband. Sometimes traditional conservatism eeks out of you.

Jeff Stankard, Group Publisher said...

ekes out.
late at night

jadedjune said...

chei.....i believe in true love.....see as uve just burst my bubble....i'm going to keep hoping though.....

uknaija said...

Movies only last 3 hours max....

Anonymous said...

To answer the last question..yes someone would create that. The more one grows/lives/learns, the more one realises that finding what you see in film is pretty darn hard.

It gets perpetuated because film involves an element of escapism and fairytale...it thrives on showing people's deepest desires whether those desires are realisable or not.

That said, keep with the values and forget people telling you what you can and cannot have. Their reality isn't yours!

Tell 'em all to bugger off and stop jinxing you! :)

Waffarian said...

I read something recently, (I am translating from the original language so it might not be 100%):"It is only in dreams or madness that one would actually follow the ideas of a fantasy".

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that I am either a dreamer or mad.Pick one.

Anonymous said...

waiting on an update........

Bitchy said...

Dear commenters (?)

I may no longer respond individually to your wise/funny/kind/encouraging words, but this does not mean that I do not cherish and appreciate them.

It only means that I am a lazy soul, a terribly lazy soul.

Perhaps if you were to acquire machines with the power to receive telepathically-transmitted messages, you would get to hear the responses I formulate to each and every one of you in my delusional head for yourselves?

I really do think it would be in your collective interest to purchase one of said machines. I know I shouldn't say this myself, but my responses are witty.

Very witty indeed!

Yours,

Oluwabitchyola