Friday, August 10, 2007

A Nigerian Afropolitan African Brit, with Stalker Tendencies

A while ago on The Afro Beat, we talked about the article, 'What is an Afropolitan?' which Misan found in a random magazine - Only Allah knows where she finds all the things she features on our site. That said, I think she's about to fire me, as my contribution lately has been... um... non-existent, and I'm now about to make matters worse by implicating her in a controversial discussion on my blog.

Back to Afropolitans. Very briefly, they are

"the newest generation of African emigrants... Some of [them] are ethnic mixes, e.g. Ghanaian and Canadian, Nigerian and Swiss; others merely cultural mutts: American accent, European affect, African ethos. Most of [them] are multilingual: in addition to English and a Romantic or two, [they] understand some indigenous tongue and speak a few urban vernaculars. There is at least one place on The African Continent to which [they] tie [their] sense of self: be it a nation-state (Ethiopia), a city (Ibadan), or an auntie’s kitchen. Then there’s the G8 city or two (or three) that [they] know like the backs of [their] hands, and the various institutions that know [them] for [their] famed focus. [They] are Afropolitans: not citizens, but Africans of the world."

The article, with other such paragraphs like that, and sprinkles and dashes of scenes with lounges playing Fela Kuti, made it sound like being stuck in cultural limbo was a groovy thing! And several of us cultural nomads were quick to embrace the label - Yes, we're sad. Sorry! We can't all be cool! And if you'd read how funky the writer made Afropolitans sound, you would've wanted to be one too!

Now, one problem I have faced, in my quest to become a fiction novelist extraordinaire, is my inability to identify closely with the Nigeria that I so desperately want my writing to be linked to. I don't want to be just another writer, I want to become part of that exclusive club (stop rolling your eyes) of African and more specifically Nigerian contemporary writers. I want to sit at round tables with the Chimamandas and Sefis and Helens, and smile like a saturated honeybee at the army of awestruck readers in front of me.

I want it, DAMN it!

But there is an obstacle - I am too much of a cultural nomad to be able to tap into their source. I don't speak any Nigerian languages, I've spent a pathetic amount of time in my hometown, I know nothing about the traditions of the place I call home (and I'm even talking about LAGOS where I spent the first 12 years of my life now, not even the village), and most of what I know, I know from wikipedia!

As part of my "quest" to join Naijawriterhood, I have been spending a lot of time stalking the club's existing members. A good number have become friends of mine, which I'm so pleased about as they are truly great people, but there are others whose books I am still yet to read.

One such other, is Uzodinma Iweala, he of 'Beasts of No Nation' fame. I know I will never read his book because I am too much of a chicken to read anything that features the word war or child-soldier on its cover sleeve, but I have read his article, 'Stop Trying to Save Africa'. That by the way is yet another article that we featured on The Afro Beat! - This one though I “found”, before you assume that Misan did. I was just too lazy to put it up myself so asked my friend to send it to her.

In 'Stop Trying to Save Africa', Uzodinma wrote, and I quote, "There is no African, myself included, who does not appreciate the help of the wider world, but we do question whether aid is genuine or given in the spirit of affirming one's cultural superiority... Every time a well-meaning college student speaks of villagers dancing because they were so grateful for her help, I cringe. Every time a Hollywood director shoots a film about Africa that features a Western protagonist, I shake my head -- because Africans, real people though we may be, are used as props in the West's fantasy of itself."

I remember reading this at the time thinking, "You tell them my brother! Put those condescending weirdos who think we're a bunch of hungry monkeys in their place!"

A few months ago though, I saw him featured in Granta's Best of Young American Novelists and became a little confused. But then I put that down to an editorial error.

Yesterday however, I came across this - an article entitled 'Am I American Enough For You?' by none other than Uzodinma Iweala, and I became more than just a tad confused. Now, I know it's dangerous to do this on the world wide web, but hey he's a public figure, and it's not my fault that when I googled him on a random afternoon all sorts of things about his life, his mother, siblings etc, blasted onto my Safari screen!

In 'Am I American Enough For You?' Uzodinma writes about an experience with a hostile immigration officer when he returned to the States from a brief holiday in Nigeria. He uses this experience to shed light on the typical American attitude to children of immigrants, like himself, who can call no other place but the United States, home. At one part he writes,

"On a personal note, I have been told countless times, when I've been critical of the United States, "If you don't like it, you should just go back to where you came from." My response: "You mean to Potomac, Maryland?" "

I went back to the 'Stop Trying to Save Africa' article yesterday after reading that, just to check whether or not I had imagined that Uzodinma was the same person who put himself forward as the proud harbinger of truth on behalf of his continent in that piece. I then emailed the 'Am I American Enough For You?' article to Misan (my wise and trusted friend :-) You can't fire me anyway, I came up with our name) who said, "Perhaps this is the curse of the Afropolitan? We wear many masks"... Or something to that effect.

I have now spent much of today pondering my status as a Nigerian and as an Afropolitan. Uzodinma's conflicting identities (although they don't really conflict, I'm just trying to make the story sweet so that a few people may decide to comment), really made me wonder about us Afropolitans, and about our internal confusion. Is it really possible that he feels as strongly about his status as an American as he does about his status as an African?

I have enough trouble trying to hold onto my Omo Naija identity as it is! And while I feel very strongly about my status as a Nigerian, I often get despondent when I realise how far removed my life is from the authentic "Naija" deal. My status as a Brit, is even worse. Forget the fact that I will soon have spent more years of my life in Britain, than in Nigeria, to me, the status starts and ends with the red passport! I mean I’m glad I have the passport, otherwise this year’s planned globetrotting would be a total nightmare, but that’s as far as it goes!

So now I ask - Will I ever be able to turn this confusion (it’s really not that drastic, but you know Bitchy loves her some melodrama) into something amazon-worthy in the way that someone like Helen Oyeyemi has been able to? Heck, she’s never even lived in Nigeria and she knows more about Yoruba culture than I do! I'm beginning to think I must've spent the first 12 years of my life with my eyes shut tight by the way! How did I live in Lagos for that long, and turn out to be this clueless?

Or should I just stop poking my nose in at what other writers are doing, and get on with writing my own story? I’ve tried that too by the way, and my friends and family have laughed their heads off at my stories! Apparently they are lacking in "authenticity".

For now, I think I will just go and take a nap. But any answers on a post-it or sticky would be much appreciated. The pretty one's head hurts. Xxx

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think any of the acclaimed writers you've mentioned have some mysterious binding rule they all follow. there are many ways to talk about Africa without relying on crutches (have you read Binyavanga's Wainana's "How To Write About Africa"?).

many of the new up and coming Nigerian writers have been educated outside Nigeria, too...and yet they've been able to hone in on particular aspects of Nigeria and there's still more than enough material leftover. if the "African/Nigerian" story doesn't come to you, write whatever comes and write it well.

while its coming, and even after it has, keep reading and keep writing until you find your own voice and listen to it keenly until you know precisely what it wants to say.

the conflict you experience is material for a book. but if it doesn't become a book, something else will...and that "something else" is perfectly fine, too.

as you said, Helen Oyeyemi didn't grow up in Nigeria and has books out that deal with very Nigerian themes. so at least you have some sort of advantage over her :) what i'm saying is this -- write whatever you find yourself writing. you will not be less Nigerian if you don't write about Nigeria explicitly.

best wishes always!

p.s. how is it that you're reading 'Swallow'? i'm jealous :(

Anonymous said...

now that i think about it, what does 'Nigerian' mean? it sounds like you either have a stereotype you need to re-examine or you're not entirely sure what it means and you need to be...

TheAfroBeat said...

can't say it any better than "t" above, so yes, "write on"! (no pun intended)

I'm loving the foto of the African lady claiming the Gwyneth Paltrow ID, that'll show Ms Paltrow what it's like to be claimed as sth you're obviously NOT. send it to me pls.

And woo hoo for the Okada ride! is there REALLY a Tom Jones street? has he even been to nija?

Anonymous said...

you can draw from the first 12 years of living in nigeria, do a lot of research and of course your parents, friends and siblings will come in handy as well - this depends on what exactly you want to write about. Helen oyeyemi must have drawn from these sources, and you should bear in mind that her narrative was not based solely on nigeria, but the uk as well - you don't actually get that much description or the way of life of nigerians from her books like you will from the chimamandas, achebes etc. That hasn't done helen any harm and i guess a lot of people regard her as an 'african writer'.

Moody Crab said...

I totally agree with T. My dear, there is nothing like "AFRICA" or "NIGERIA" as an entity (if that makes sense). My experience of Nigeria/ Africa is totally different form the aforementioned writers and yet, they all write about same thing.

You need to find your own voice/niche.

Furthermore, despite being born in London, I've lived in Nigeria most of the time and sometimes, I do experience the clash of identity. I think in Ibo but I can hardly speak the language. How messed is that? So my dear, you are not alone.

And one day, you will sit in a room with Chiamandas and the Chinuas! Just write on....

Bitchy said...

@ t, thanks so much for the kind words! And Swallow? Hmmm... let's just say I know people, who know people, who know people. Teehee! It's out in Lagos in December though. GRAB it.

@ b, Call it stereotypical if you will, but there are some very basic things I associate with the chaotic place that is Lagos (public transport, policemen who should be locked up in a mental institute etc). And when I talk about my personal conflict, I mean the Lagos that I see and smell around me but which I only seem to be observing from afar. To cut the long story short, I want to hop from danfo to danfo and mix with the average sweaty Nigerian.

@ mimikoo, Eko Akete had some interesting insight to "Tom Jones Junction" on the previous post. Stop being lazy and READ it. Hehe. Oh and look at what the small print on the picture says. It's hilarious!! -

“Help us stop the shameless fame whores from using the suffering of those dying from AIDS in Africa to bolster their pathetic careers now that they are no longer dating Brad Pitt and no one gives a shit about them. Just kiss my black ass to help.”

@ anon, thanks for that. I tend to panic a lot. It's a bad habit!

@ crabby, AMEN oh! Glad to see you're back on the www :-)

For the love of me said...

Binyavanga says it is best to write about what you know best. so if you do not remember lagos, write abt the life of a naija girl in England but if you must write abt Lagos or nigeria, take a trip home, you'd be amazed at how much you would learn in a week. All the best.

For the love of me said...

just read "to tom jones" and realised you are in lag, it also hit me that I do know you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bitchy stop trying to be clever. You knew willow was me...... blah blah blah...... thanks, this next year which actually is my 4th is going to be hell.....you won't see me. Hope you are ok. xx

Unknown said...

Just to let you know - I read your blogs, even though I can't really comment. When I get back home, I will start commenting again...

Anonymous said...

You know, i really like your blog..ure an amazingly intelligent young lady and i dont think you should try to write like the "Nigerian" writers cos it WILL lack authenticity unless youre ready to do an amazing amount of research...write naturally...as you write right now ill read a book of urs thats for sure! I'm a fellow 'wannabe' writer and ive given up all hope of writing like the chimamandas and the achebes simply for all the reasons u listed and many more..write about what you know and itll be superb.. love your blog!

Favoured Girl said...

I pondered that "Afropolitan" identity recently, as the longer I stay in the UK, the tighter I cling onto my "Nigerian identity". I recently gave up and admitted that I am a Nigerian, but I live in the UK. So the way I define my experiences in a Nigerian context will be different from someone else my age who has lived in Nigeria all their lives. I also dream of sitting in a room with the accomplished writers that you mentioned and I worry that my writing will not be "Nigerian" enough just like you. But I think you can only write from your experience, unless you really do a LOT of research into the circumstances you are talking about. I enjoy reading your blog, I think you are a very talented writer so I wouldn't worry about your book not being "Nigerian" enough as long as I enjoy the story. I look forward to reading your work soon. No pressure :-)

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

hmmm, nice post. Got me thinking. The problem with many young Africans is that we are at home everywhere but not quite accepted anywhere. I wonder what that bodes for us as a people. I love being Cosmopolitan - speaking different languages, being able to cook Thai, Carribean, African, Italian foods. But, as a mother to 3 young children, I crave to raise them as Nigerian children. However, they have a Nigerian mother, a Dominican father, a U.S. passport, a Kalabari grandmother, Cameroonian relatives, Eritrean aunties, Ghanian cousins, Jamaican aunts etc. That is the product of MY cosmopolitanism. Will they ever be able to speak Yoruba or Kalabari or Bakweri? God knows, I hope so. Nevertheless, I have resigned myself to the fact that I cannot define their experience. It will be their own.

So, all that long talk to say - accept your Afropolitaness (sp?). Love it, embrace it and allow it to spur your creativity and craft that classic that we are all waiting for. You know you can do it...

uknaija said...

On afropolitanism I'll echo solomonsydelle. On Uzodinma- I'd say don't put him in any pigeon hole- he can be what he wants to be African and American-what about the 3rd generation Irish Americans and Jewish Americans who continue to be closely linked to ther homelands while being patriotic Americans?

As to writing- write WHAT YOU KNOW- if you are conflicted , write about being conflicted, about wanting to be authentic Nigerian- you have the spark, reading your blog I can tell ;-)

Noni Moss said...

Hmmm first of all, blogger is really irritating cos I swear I check your blog everyday and yet I'm only just seeing this post.

I think everyone has more or less covered all the points I would have made. I totally understand how you feel about being removed. Despite my best efforts, I've been told, I no longer sound Nigerian and my Yoruba accent is atrocious. I also no longer know how to find my way around Lagos (a place that I knew like the back of my hand). I can navigate my way around NY with my eyes closed and I've never lived there.

I think your writing speaks for itself. Your honesty about your displacement and your experiences are very compelling. You also sound very intelligent and still aware from whatever vantage point of your country and its culture. There are a great many people like you who would relate. Writing from your personal expereince or your (what you think is limited) knowledge does not make you any less a writer nor any less a Nigerian.

Finally even though there is a lot to be said about research, it sometimes has its down sides. Reading Half of a Yellow Sun, I got the distinct impression that Chimamanda had done an impressive amount of research. To her credit, she tied it in well with her storyline. However, I also felt that there were times when she tried to encompass too much of it into the story - the bit about the count who used to fly in to drop aid supplies - totally irrelevant and unnecessary to the story. If I were her editor, I would have made her cut it.

Anonymous said...

Girl stop worrying ur pretty head, long as ur nigerian born even if u cant speak any of the 3 ur still omo naija. Ican speak 1 of the 3 and its not even my lang! In my vilage im viewed as oyinbo as I cant answers in my dialect,lol!
You have what Jayz and Rkelly tried to achieve- The best of both worlds. I feeling the freedom you have with ur red passport o,if I could get my visa appiication fees and school fees money back, I 4 build house jare.

As for Uzo,hmm I have met him and been out with him and some friends once, he seemed a very interesting character, hez younger brother is a rapper but he seemed quit Afro centric when I listened to his demo. I dunno, I guess hez both(Naija Americano) so occasionally it may coz confusion sp when he trying to mesgs across.Will read the article nw. Njoy lag Woman

Atutupoyoyo said...

What's left to be said B?

Your paradox sounds to me like the perfect foundation for the kind of writing I would certainly like. There are rich themes to be found in cultural conflict and displacement.

Your readers await.....

Anonymous said...

Personally, from what I have seen of wealthy Nigerians, both in Nigeria and England, they seem to insit of living in their own little bubbles. I think that, if I am truly honest with you, is why you find it difficult to understand and appreciate your homeland and, dare I say it, England too. You are obviously very wealthly and have been blessed with things some of us just dream of.

However, if you are still insistent on understanding the life of the average Nigerian stop dropping your jaw in amazement at people like myself who get dirty and/or take risks in the search for true life experiences and start copying, then you may have something different to write about.

Jaja said...

the pop up blocker on borrowed PC wont let me comment. Now that I can, i have my dear OluwaBitchyOla, this is a really enlightened post. the whole alienation, diaspora thing...

Concerning the Iweala and others, i read about them with interest...(ur unique history is an asset, seriously)
what i find really interesting about Nigerians, is our eagerness to claim them( well to dos in diaspora..Sade, seal, Ne yo, Uzo iweala)
. how we say easily without proof.. "ah ah Bitchy is a Nigerian nah? Yoruba girl! she just won the booker. small girl wey them born for Lagos.I know her"

we have a certain sense of we-ness that embraces our own.

as to writting. just write babes...anything...

Bitchy said...

Gosh, thanks for the comments people. Hadn't expected this many! I now wish I hadn't been lazy and left my reply to the last minute, as loads of interesting points were made that I'd like to reply to individually.

Sigh... this laziness... the thing is a killer.

Anonymous said...

Like J noted, Bitchy, you are clearly from one a wealthy background, not so disimilar to mine. Why don't you write about that. Why try to write about the 'average' Nigerian that you know little about? Just right from your own position. Write your experience. We hadly get to read about wealthy Nigerians - who send their kids to expensive public schools in the UK, their sense of in-betweeness, pains and joys of unblonging, dealing with coming from money in a society where so many have so little. All these makes for a powerful story that needs to be told. You already write very well and it would be a shame for you not to bring the complexity of your experience into literature. When I read your blog, I feel a connection of coming from extreme wealth. I want to hear more about the experience of people from 'our' background. I think more people writing aabout this class, will enrich Nigerian literature. I don't think it is necessary to always feel one has to write about people on the street. Write about what you know best, write from your own position and then everything else we'll become so easy. This is why I find Sefi Atta's first book so very powerful. She writes of experiences that we often don't read about in Nigerian literature. Get writing girl. you clearly have a gift.

Anonymous said...

at the last anon,ur too much LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL! iMMA hafta 2 save this comment if bitchy permits. I love the emphasis on 'OUR' oo I feel the carringtons,lol!
Sorry Bitchy I cudnt resist tryna be a bitch:)

Anonymous said...

I actually like and welcome the last Anon's contribution. I think, it would be good for Nigerian/African literature when we get to hear stories from this world. We rarely ever read about these class of people (I say these because they are in the minority in Nigeria and yet they constitute a powerful class). It is as though they not part of the Nigerian/human race. I like the fact that anon owned up to her privilege and recognise that there is such a group hence the 'our' statement. I for one, would love to read about this world which is so alien to me, but yet is also an aspect of what it means to be a Nigerian. One of the things I really enjoy about reading this blog is that it opens up this world to me. The world of a young woman who can afford to hop on a plane and go to china or was it India and then tomorrow to Lagos, worrying about hair and boyfriends etc. This is a world I know nothing about. This kind of stories are also the stuff of literature No?

Anonymous said...

like you pointed out, chimmy (hehe, love calling her that, makes me feel familiar) lived here most of her life (or something), but helen didnt. writing is a mix of imagination and aquired information babe. you'll do fine jus being a bitch ;)

Emz said...

Saw your comments on my blog - HELLO - forgot you were here too! But yeah, interesting that we're doing the same things. I really like this post especially as it echoes some of the questions I've been exploring about the place of Nigerian/African/Western culture in one's own writing - it's a really tough one. Have you read Segun Afolabi's A Life Elsewhere? I wish he wouldn't write about Nigeria because all he does is corroborate the whole 'poverty in Africa' mantra which pisses me off, because he makes it sound like we're all dying from Kwashiorkor, which clearly, we're not! Anyhow, great blog. Call me when you get back...xx

Anonymous said...

Iweala will say anything (Nigerian one day, Nigerian-American the other) to curry favor with whomever he's speaking to. He is a sham, IMHO.

I can't begin to tell you how I felt when I saw Iweala this past Friday at a Young African Professionals event in Washington DC. He read from his book in such a disconcerting way, and the irony was that he looked very much the part of a pampered rich kid who's trying to save the world (did you know he's now trying to go to medical school? Because he thinks he can combine literature and medical practice to help kids in Africa...why not just go to Nigeria and help now???).

No joke, the guy was dressed to impress (he picked up a couple of numbers/cards from some women on the scene), introduced himself as a graduate of St. Albans (a prestigious prep school in DC) and Harvard, and went on to somewhat mock Jeffrey Sach's initiative that he worked on while in Nigeria (hell, even Nigerian-American gotta go "Native" when in front of other Africans).

This American kid- for he was really naive and childlike with his jokes and fake accent- faked like he really was Nigerian when he grew up in the upper class neighborhood of Potomac, MD.

Its not identity issues for this guy..its opportunistic thinking- taking advantage of his heritage only when necessary.

Femme said...

your post covered a breed,- the Afropolitan but there is another with the same problem;
Nigerians living in Nigeria, who have lived in Nigeria all their lives usually in Lagos and still feel a bit robbed of ethnicity.
Many Nigerians thru the help of cable tv and the internet are comfortable with everything western, with English as a first and only language.

I find that even the new writers still look to the past to give us what is acknowledged as a Nigerian experience.

The old question about the authenticity of African books written in colonial languages has to give way to Nigerian(African) books written in Nigeria but lacking a certain Afrocentrism.
how much more confusing can things get?

In response to ur own questions, you can only represent what you dont understand to a certain degree, the hybrid of your heritage could be a new facet in our evolving literature.

you write wonderfully well.

why am i the only one who hasn't read chimamanda?
and thank God i'm not the only one not interested in the unoriginally titled beast of no nation.

Waffarian said...

I agree with solomonsydelle, embrace who you are, we are all different, and your own experience will define how you write. Forget about being "Nigerian enough", Nigeria is too big and the people are too different for anyone to claim anything as a "Nigerian experience". I grew up in Warri, even now, people that live in Jos are too alien for me to connect with. Keep writing, it speaks for itself.

Naapali said...

For the sake of agreeing with many of those above. I agree with Solomonsydelle, Waffarian, Femme, ah2-2 and others.

You write well as it is. You already have your own unique perspective. Write what you know, but write it well. All writing boils down to a good story well told. That is why it is so difficult.

I have enjoyed reading your globetrotting. I wish I could travel with the ease you do. However, I can live vicariously through your writing and, really, that is what good writing should do.

Anya Posh said...

The concept of the Afropolitan is so interesting. I joined the group on facebook & invited over a hundred other friends to join as well. But yes, he makes us seem so cool. Indeed we are that cool; but only to the extent we decide to be & embrace what it means to essentially be African. Like you, I speak no Nigerian languages and I left Nigeria when I was a couple years older than you were - but I have tremendous ties to the place & I appreciate this diaspora.
And about being one of the greats, don't worry you'll get there!

Anonymous said...

You just have to write about what you know best. Some of the best novels are written by people telling other people's stories, maybe you don't need to try to 'find yourself' in your writing. Your voice is just as important as anyone else's - you don't need to write a big Nigerian epic if you haven't got the inspiration to do so, I echo Jaja in saying, 'just write babes...anything...'