Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Working Girl's Woe

Bitchy sent the email below to a group of beloved friends this afternoon, and just now, on her way to bed, decided that she would share it on her blog. She decided this for 2 reasons. First, because she is aware of the fact that she has not blogged in a while, and is afraid that if she persists in being lazy, she is unlikely to ever blog again. And second, because she needs many hands on deck to help her deal with a very serious problem.

For the avoidance of confusion, you ought to know that Bitchy signed up 2 days ago as an "intern" with a leading literary agency in London. She was looking for something with which to pass the time between her sojourn in Lagos and her forthcoming globe-trotting stint. For 2 days, Bitchy has played the role of a receptionist whose activities include letting delivery men into the office building, answering the office telephone, trudging up 4 flights of stairs with a large sack of post in tow, replying to emails that the agents are too busy/irritated to respond to themselves, and standing at attention in anticipation of the arrival of clients before ushering them into the office and offering them cups of tea/coffee/poison.

This was not the role she signed up for when she filed her application. Bitchy was told by the lead agent that she would get the chance to read and edit manuscripts. Many, many manuscripts. That she would drown in stacks of them and retire home a happy bunny every day. But after her first 2 days, Bitchy finds that she is yet to come within even a hair's breath of a manuscript!

She has been deceived.

*Start of Email*

"This whole job thing is just turning into one terrible Ben Stiller-esque comedy show. First I'm getting tongue paralysis from stamp licking (I've worked out my own form of revenge though.... If an envelope I weigh needs 42p of stamps, I put a 50p stamp on it. Ha!) And then today, I got the brilliant news that this guy who works in the office next door (which for some reason keeps open the door it shares with us all the damn time) is coming back tomorrow, with his HUGE grumpy DOG!!!

Can you imagine???? And guess WHO sits beside the open shared door? ME!! I.e. Bitchy, who is TERRIFIED of dogs. I'm so scared. I've been praying all day for some kind of miracle. Please join me. I want the thing to drop dead over night.

What is wrong with these British people? A DOG in the office???? And they didn't even tell me about it when I applied!! I rejected another agency simply because they had a dog. And I hate how they act like you're some kind of gremlin from PLUTO if you say you're afraid of/ don't like dogs!!

I am MISERABLE!!!"


*End of Email*

Dear Blog Folk,

Please join Bitchy in praying for the infliction of a sudden and inexplicable but completely curable and easily treatable illness on said massive dog, which threatens to make her miserable experience even more miserable from tomorrow morning onwards. Apparently Dildo (that's not its real name, although it's similar enough) is an aggressive dog with a strong distrust for strangers. She is huge and barks like a lion. She is also the queen of the office and saunters from one corner to another unhindered. If opposed she has been known to growl and pounce. But, as Bitchy has been told, "she wouldn't hurt a fly" and her "pounces do not hurt"!!!

After the long consultation process with friends that ensued when the above-inserted email was sent, Bitchy decided that she will be leaving this job on Friday.

But first, there is the issue of the DOG to be dealt with.

Oh and before you go calling her a spoilt brat for the umpteenth time (*cough* Rukks), DID she mention that she isn't even being PAID by the agency for this slave labour?

***** UPDATE *****


Dildo is in the building. She arrived at 11am. So far she has done nothing but BARK ferociously at the poor office cleaner who through no fault of her own passed in front of Dildo's door a number of times whilst doing the vacuuming.

Bitchy has barricaded herself into her desk which, as she discovered, is high enough for Dildo the dog to crawl under if she so desires. Bitchy's dust bin, some lever arch files, and some cardboard boxes that she only just emptied as part of her post-sorting duties, have come in very handy.

Bitchy has also reported (subtly of course and in as non-whingey a form as she could manage) the gentleman whose dog Dildo is, to her boss. The gentleman refused to shut the shared door when Bitchy asked him to this morning. And so she went to the top!

The door is now shut, but Bitchy's barricade is still up. She is taking no chances.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh... hate dogs. as in, even the cute little ones. i don't care if theyre friendly - get friendly and frolicky on someone else's ass!
pele dear.
maybe u should do tongue excercises :p
and NO, you're not spoilt or whiny. its not until u develop yams and lock jaw or whatever , before u know it's time to leave.

pele!! friday is SUCH a long way away.....

Anonymous said...

Time to purchase an electronic dog repelent or canine pepper spray. Oh, and should the dog sinks its teeth into you, push into the dogs mouth, don't pull . . .

TheAfroBeat said...

kai bitchy!!! you have tried! actually, let me just start praying that there's no silly person(u know the word i wud normally use - i***t - but don't want to offend any blog readers who might do such) who brings their dog into work at my new job, that wud be disastrous coz unlike u, i've signed a contract, which didnt include resignation upon realization of pets in the office.

i am praying against that dog...hehe.it is well! one more day!

TheAfroBeat said...

OMG, just saw ur untouched bookshelf list...i haven't touched lion and the jewel as well. But the dewbreaker is a GREAT book...had no ideas about the troubles of haiti until recently, and then i read dewbreaker and a couple of others (Hugo's Bug-Jargal is another good yet unacclaimed one).

Noni Moss said...

:-) Good luck!

onydchic said...

take heart, mi dear, im beginning to think heartbreakingly BAD jobs are like, a pre-requisite for getting through life. I've had a couple myself.
As for dogs? They're ok, i guess, but if it's not mine, keep it the HELL away from me. :)

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

haba, na dog dey make you fear so? lol! No, really, I have had my fair share of dog 'experiences'. Don't worry, you will be okay and if not, I know a couple very god lawyers over there. Just "sue the bastards"

Idemili said...

I'm sorry, I should be commiserating but all I want to do is laugh until I can laugh no more, then start again.

Funny post!

Atutupoyoyo said...

My poor Bitchy. Good to see you back on form. I was wondering what you were doing in London when I imagined you might be somewhere in Asia by now.

The English and their pets. They will happily leave a newborn child in a nursery but take their pets everywhere with them. Now in relation to your problem, you need laxatives, lots of laxatives. If there is any way you can add them to Dildos meal then you will create a scenario where she will have to be taken to the vet for at least two days. Things might get a little…..smelly but hey lesser of two evils right?

Ekoakete said...

LOL. I can't understand that dog in the office business. Can't stand the creatures. Much prefer cats. Good luck... Just a couple more days to go anyways

Favoured Girl said...

Eeew - a dog in the office? I don't get it. Would the boss allow anyone to bring their babies into the office and let them loose to play around? Hope you were able to leave the office unscathed that day. How's the job going though, did you get to read any manuscripts?

UndaCovaSista said...

I was chased by a dog on the way home from school one day. I fell and have a chipped front tooth as a permanent reminder of the incident. I HATE the buggers!!! I'm also shallow, though and i often admire the little cute ones from a safe distance

Bitchy said...

Dog repellent, canine pepper spray, lawyers, laxatives?? Lol! THANK you! I knew it was Africans/ non Brits who would understand why I was so upset about this Dildo situation. I still feel like screaming, "Excuse me, what the hell is a DOG doing in your frickin office??!!" Sigh... these creative types.

Tomorrow is Friday, but I'm no longer so sure that I'm quitting. Hmmm..

Xxxx

Anonymous said...

Wetin dey you, dis girl?
Ordinary dog? U no go cook am chop? Na only the salary wey them no dey pay you be the problem o!
And you say the dog fat... fat? ah! more food!
Long time bitchy... good to see you still blog. when are we seeing ur talent translated into print with ur byline...

uknaija said...

This was sooo funny. On the dog issue I remember visiting some friends of friends who had about seven dogs and cringing as they panted and slobbered under the table during lunch... Being "old Afria hands", I'm sure you know the type, they announced to every other guest "Well, Africans don't really like dogs as pets, they don't really understand the concept" I wanted to list the families I knew growing up who had pet dogs on our street and retort that if you mean we dont allow them to share our plates at lunch and our beds at night (having rolled all day in God knows what) then you're right." Sadly I was new to the UK then and less self assured and so bit my tongue....

Porter deHarqourt said...

this is not good at all, i can imagine ur eyes straying over to that door every few seconds.

u fit try poison the dog. just arrange small otapiapia inside some delicious steak...who knows you may end up writing that great book from prison.

try and endure, a lot of people have to share their offices with even worse creatures...in human form.

Admin UD said...

hahaha, sorry ooo, e go better

Unknown said...

HA! You make me think of that book which then became a film - The Devil wears Prada. Seen it?

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HAAAAA!!

Welcome to the world of creativity m'love...... take it from me.. its hell... and oh my God, they always lie....... those bloody people never pay you. More than 5 internship jobs ... never been paid in my life... lol!

Plus what the hell are you talking about, you have loads of dogs back home right? .... from what I remember. You are a nut case.

Am afraid I quite like dogs..... am on the other side..... SORRY! Must be the british thing in me! oops! Beside most publishing houses, literary agents are always like that, very disheveled, chilled out places. But I will say a little prayer for you ; ) You are so funny bitchy, so funny!

Giggles!

Emz said...

A dog in the office? What nonsense?! And as for the tongue aerobics with the stamps and hauling heavy things up flights of stairs like a manual labourer, I totally understand. When I did my work experience at an un-named magazine - I dunno what they thought I was. Whenever we had photoshoots ON THE TOP FLOOR guess who got to haul the stuff around? Granted they were Vera Wang dresses and Swarovski crystals, but when you're carrying, literally millions of them, and you're back is about to break, they suddenly lose their charm and you're like this close to slapping your manager. Pele, pele. It'll be over soon, and your CV will be all the more glorious for it!

Jaja said...

And am even late..

I shall fly down down to London, kill the dog, and then return to Port Harcourt..

Nothing, not even a dog messes with my bitchy.

Its really cool oo.. that Internship you r doing... u definitely know how to make all these right choices

Bitchy said...

Jaja my (ex) love, yes you ARE very late!! I have toiled and slaved all alone on this dog issue whilst you sat eating crab and periwinkle, and enjoying yourself. I am not pleased.

Emz, Vera Wang and Swarovski? I'd happily trade for Dildo!

Willow, sharrap about the mutts from my childhood. Did you ever see me playing me with them?

Snuffs - Devil Wears Prada was far more glamorous than this. FAR more glamorous.

Warri Boy, Yukay and Porter - LOL! (I got lazy there. I'm so sorry! I'm trying to rebuild my blog stamina)

Thirty + said...

Absolutely Hilarious

Toluwalope said...

Lurrvvveed dis piece...

am sure the agency even gave you an email addy bitchyblabla@leadinglondonlitagency.com, abi? So you could feel like someone far above the bottom of the food - make that "slush" - chain.. he he he

Na wa o... so they didn't even allow you to WRITE rejection letters?

PS. Did you see my manuscript in one of those mail bags? Pls confirm asap!!!!!!!!!!!

Toluwalope said...

Me again.

Next time, what you should do is this:

1. Make sure the door is left wide open as usual
2. Pick your mobile phone.
3. Begin, in your loudest, most naija voice, an imaginary conversation with someone from back home "in the jungle continent".
4. let ur conversation centre around how much you've missed dogs - and no, you haven't had dog stew since you arrived in London, but things are looking good, there's one tasty looking "sonofabitch" in the office next door... blah blah blah.

thou wilt never see Dildo in the office again, I reckon...