Thursday, March 06, 2008

Period Pains, Blocked Noses & Marriage Proposals

I proposed to Mista Fanutastiki yesterday.

And what did he do?

He laughed, gave me a hug and then ignored me.

Now when this happened, I was just a little pissed off. How dare he ignore me, I thought. Should he not be honoured that a super fly chica mohita like me is proposing to his silly self? Instead he laughs it off and says NOTHING?

I began to have flashbacks to all the times in my *cough* youth, when some poor clueless sucker would pour out his feelings of love and deep deep deeeep affection to me (always over the phone, they never seemed to have the balls to do it in person) and then I would respond with a very long and very eery silence (I got a kick out of it you see - yes I'm twisted, and no, I've never been in a mental institution of any kind).

Well I can assure you that it was NOT fun when I received a taste of my own medicine yesterday. In fact, it was mortifying, embarrassing and downright annoying!

Later in the evening, I asked, very calmly and in my super-cool voice "Did I or did I not propose to you this afternoon?" He laughed again, and then changed the topic. A third time I said, actually yelled, "Are you okay? What the hell is your problem? Didn't I ask you to marry me?"

Mista Fanutastiki yelled back (and I quote), "What kind of rubbish proposal was that? Are you well?"

Leaving me... gobsmacked... and just a little peeved.

Fine, he may have had a point or two. Prior to my utterance of the words "Will you marry me?" I had yelled at him for talking too loudly on the phone, freaked out when one of London's dumbest delivery men ever arrived with a massive box that he expected me to go downstairs and then lug all the way back into my flat with my spectacularly muscle-free arms. I had then proceeded to yell at Mr. F for standing around, and then shoved him downstairs to deal with my very heavy package and the box-bearing buffoon. (Seriously though, what is wrong with this city? How can a company accept your payment for a very heavy item, arrive with it and then tell you at the door oh, not at the online checkout counter, that their delivery is to "doorstep only"?)

Anyway by the time Mista Fanutastiki made it back upstairs with the very heavy box, I was sitting on my bed, the bright red insect biting my brain had departed, and I was beginning to blubber... like a baby. In my defence, it had been a very very stressful day. I had contracted the flu overnight, been working on my flat renovation since I got up at 6am whilst sneezing like a monster, I had a job interview coming up at 2 pm, it was already 1 pm, I was running late, I wasn't even prepared for the interview, and oh... (super huge factor)... all this was happening on the most painful strength-sucking day of my period. Sorry I know I'm supposed to say "lady week" but I think that's just ridiculous. Men need to learn to deal with the fact that every single woman on this planet has a week when blood, yes, blood, not red paint or ribena, seeps out of her. They also need to learn that it can make her very cranky and moody and emotional and downright insane as in my case, and that she can get incredibly pissed off at the fact that she is expected to tread on eggshells for no apparent reason by referring to her PERIOD as her "lady week", "time of the month", "red monster", (insert other annoying cover-up metaphor here) even though SHE is the one suffering the pain and discomfort!

I appear to have digressed, but in the middle of my crying and wailing ("I'm not going to my interview!", "I'm too sick!", "I hate my life!", "The world is over!") Mista Fanutastiki held me, and hugged me, and allowed me to cry for as long as I needed to. (If the shoe was on the other foot, I would probably have slapped him and yelled at him to get a grip.) Then he sat me upright, told me he was going to help me sort things out and that I was going to be just fine at my interview, and then said (the magic words) "You need to eat. What do you want me to get you?"

He left the room and the only thing I could think to say (actually yell, because he'd gone to the kitchen) was "Will you (sneeze, cough, sniff) marry meeeeee?"

Lucky for me though, he didn't say yes. I am in no position to get married anytime soon - I don't even have a car, a decent savings account or a National Insurance number!

But it would've been nice if he had at least played along and said yes, and had allowed me to believe that he wanted to marry me. When I told him this last night, he said, "The only reason you want me to marry you is so that I can be your butler."

So... A word of advice to any young chica looking to blurt out the big question? Wait for him to come to you, and when he does, laugh it off and leave the room, make him wait, make him ask again until he is forced to yell "OI! DID YOU NOT HEAR ME? I SAID MARRY ME, YOU FREAK!"

Mista Fanutastiki may not know it yet but that is sooooo the treatment he is going to get if he ever does propose. I am certainly not asking him a fourth time, that's for sure!

[Feel free to share your own embarrassing, or mushy, proposal stories at this juncture. Or to lament and side with me on the PERIOD (still yelling it) point I raised earlier.]

15 comments:

Debo Wale said...

sweetheart PERIOD!???? i call it "throwing a Party" and NO way you didn not ask MR F. to marry you??? hahahahahaha.. what were u expecting? hahahah i can;t help but laugh! so hun this is at your expense! lol.. so sorry.. still laughing! ohh Aunty Bitchy, how nice of him to get you something to eat he's right though you only want him as your butler right? lol.. x

Naapali said...

You know after I was roundly rejected by Beloved for the 3rd time I gave up on the proposal thing. She went to Naija on vacation came back, I picked her up from the airport, dropped her off at home and before I left she proposed. Considering this had always been my wish I was still gobsmacked, and flabberwhelmed by it all. So I can understand Mr. Fanutastiki's reaction to some extent.
I did say yes and then had to drop to knees and do my own proposal. Moral of the story, don't pack it in yet.

Atutupoyoyo said...

Two posts in a week? It must be because the "painters are in". It does peculiar things to a woman.

So you propsed to Mr Fanustaki how many times? And he turned you down how many times? I think in some cultures that is grounds for divorce....if you were married (in which case you wouldn't have proposed in the first place)

Awwww my poor Bitchy it is a most hollow of feelings innit? I once proposed in a drunken haze and was thankfully rejected. Actually she spoke no English so I assume it was indeed a rejection and that I am not in fact one half of a married couple somewhere in darkest Peru. No I am pretty sure that "Sobre mi cadáver hijo de puta" is as definitive a rejection as a man is likely to get. So do what I did and er.....throw up. Failing that, get on bended knee next time. He sounds like a converse traditionalist.

Zena said...

Propose...me? Heavens No, I did however make a pact with a friend that if we didn't get married at 30, we'd marry eachother, lol. But Honestly, what did u expect him to do? Sounds like the flu was thinking (at least that's what I blame things on) But it did sound cute though(If you feel better)

Halleluyah!Yes!PERIOD!PERIOD!PERIOD!!lol, that felt liberating, not Aunt Flow or Folusa(as my razz friends call her), not the lady in red,a period.

Moody Crab said...

Well, this is leap year so you are allowed to propose. Blame the slight silliness on the calender.

Ah period! Apart from the usual moodiness, crankiness, tears and that drama, every month I crave new and weird stuffs. Like last month it was mussels in tomatoe sauce, red wine and M&S chocolate cake. This month, I'm craving unsalted crackers with corned beef and sweet corn spread (sweetcorn mixed corned and olive oil). This night alone, I'm on my second packet of crackers and third tin of corned beef and sweet corn! Totally ridiculous but I can't help myself.

onydchic said...

Maybe its just me (it probably is), but periods are very 'business as usual' kinda days. I feel nothing, but impatient for it to end. I've never been able to get it when females around me throw fits and go crazy and moody because of it. I mean, I think we've all gotten accustomed to the theory that we SHOULD be feeling different those days. And then do. Frankly, I believe in the ignore-it-and-it-will-go-away concept. Cos... it kinda does, doesn't it?

Idemili said...

True Ony. Very true. I do that too.

UndaCovaSista said...

I think we should take it one step further and declare that we are MENSTRUATING!!!

Jaja said...

I proposed to a girl once when i was 5. She was 5 too. She was really sweet, she said agreed and went on to tell her dad she needed to have a gown sewn.... incidentally tho, they moved house soon after.

After then i havn't tried the proposal thing again.
But on the lighter side, if you have had any time to notice, recently on my blog, I have had some anonymous proposals. I even got a brief resume e mailed to me with a dodgy picture attached....

my market dey sell....

See how i have gone on about myself. Forgive. I wanted to start by telling you that, always, I cant help a happy smile each time I read your posts...even when you are getting very distressed in them..:) Your writing is so alive!

Anonymous said...

@ony and idemmili: you must be superheroes not to be able to even identify with the hormonal change that happens during periods.
don't you feel pain? doesnt pain generally get you down? no moods? no madness??
you should be dubbed wonderwoman and supergirl. or something.

and bitchy, you should either marry for babies or butlers, i always say ;)

Anonymous said...

my question is simple, and perhaps has no answer, but, are there some from whom the blood seeps out 247/365 i.e. who perpetually see red? Or do they only act that way?

Anonymous said...

gal bitchy! wot can i say! tried the proposal thing b4.... was rejected told was not my place 2 ask, african man! soon after we broke up, have decided that i'll jus wait 4 whoveva s goin to b the Man 2 do the askin!
as par period.... jus say its that tyme of the month....and boy! do i get cranky, and veri edgy...

Anonymous said...

National Insurance number!lol

Unknown said...

Looooll you are too funny!

archiwiz said...

LOL...LOL...Girl, you are hilarious.

Pele ohh, for Mr Fan-wetin-wetin... Maybe because of the way the moment occurred he felt you were being unserious or emotional or whatever. Who knows...men...Sha, if y'all are still together then thats a great sign. He might still be saving up for a ring to accept your proposal with. ^_^