Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Oh My Goodness, I Can't Think Of A Title! This Has Never Ever Happened Before!

I have been doing something that I rarely do, but which I enjoy immensely whenever I get the chance to do it. I have been reading my old posts. Posts which were written not too long ago, but which were generally (heck, always) conditioned and influenced by whatever I was going through at the time.

It's been a long while since I wrote a post like 'Boys Can't Cry' which got all my favourite blog people thinking and talking and sharing their own experiences, and doing what I love them for --> eventually changing my perspective. I have been feeling for a while now that my style as a blogger has changed. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but today I think I have. Hardly any of the posts I've put up since the summer have been thought-provoking. Why? Because I began to keep my thoughts to myself, without really realising it. And even though I was still giving a lot away about my life and the way I live it, I was merely retelling events without really providing any insight into them, into how they affected me, or how they changed me. With my old posts, I always gave some insight into my personal perspective. Even when I was strong-headed, as with 'Boys Can't Cry' and when I was remorseful and humbled, as with 'Boys Can't Cry Part Deux'. (Can I just add that I am an equal opportunities employer on the boo hoo front these days?)

I can't say for certain why it is that I stopped sharing the part of my personality that (before you accuse me of bragging, scrutinise the evidence abeg) was easier to connect with and more popular than the part I currently focus on right now (my sense of humour and my ability to laugh at absolutely everything that happens to me). Perhaps I thought I was giving away too much and that it was dangerous? Well it was a bit. I learned that lesson very hard and very fast when I saw the impact my addiction to the "self sharing" opportunities provided by my blog had on the relationship I was in at the time. Perhaps I also haven't really been allowing myself to mull over my emotions, thoughts and perspectives of late, as I was wont to do in the past? I have found recently that whenever I sit down to blog, I can't help but throw all the personal bits out the window. Literally! Like with my posts on India and on France, there were so many thoughtful observations I wanted to make (and share) but just never did. It was like I just couldn't bring myself to get personal, and I didn't know why!

When I sat down to write the previous post, I actually wanted to talk about how impressed I was with India, how moved and inspired I was to see a country with such a similar history to ours forging ahead with the full effort and support of its people. I wanted to talk about all the things I learned about Hinduism and the impact that's had on my personal approach to Christianity, the immense respect I have for this much-ignored faith (well in the West anyway) which is probably primarily responsible for the huge sense of morality that pervades every single Hindu and the way he lives his life. This by the way I really believe is so closely connected with the fundamental differences that I noted between Nigerians and Indians. There is a strong strong sense of right and wrong in India, which we have completely lost in Nigeria. I felt safe when I was there, in a way that I would never have thought possible given its status as a 'developing country', and in a way that I so desperately crave to in Nigeria. This is not to say that Indian tour guides do not use their sway with tourists to extract extortionate sums by way of commission from shop sellers, or that there is no corruption in India. Far from it! But there is a difference between their (mental and moral) corruption and ours, and I don't know if I have been able to put my finger on just why that is, not since I came back, and definitely not now in this post.

India has so many of the problems we have! We (Nigerians) often feel cool about the fact that we have 250 ethnic groups or whatever the figure is. We often use this as an excuse when talking about the leaps and advances made by our neighbours in Ghana for example. But our differences are nothing when compared to the differences (ethnic groups, kingdoms, languages, religions) that prevail in India. And just as we are, Indians are VERY much victims of the colonial experience. In fact, in my opinion (shoot it down if you will, you're more than welcome to because I am no professor) they were changed and affected a hell of a lot more than we were. Walking around the Colaba and Fort areas alone in Mumbai, was enough to convince me of this. I would look up at the top of a beautiful beautiful Victorian building like Bombay University or whatever it's called, which could easily be planted amongst the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, and would stand out only because of its exotic Mughal features and little else! And I would feel like I was in England, but in a dirty, rundown, faded and unkempt England that had brown rather than pale people running all over the place. The architectural and other (now rundown) remnants of their colonial era are still very much a reminder of just how strong a presence the British had in India. Imagine how angry, repressed and altered they must have been! Fine, this applies especially to Mumbai and not at all to areas like Udaipur (that were never touched by the British), but it made me think!

In a lot of the traveling I have been doing, I haven't just been meeting Italians, and stuffing my face, and fending off mosquitos. I have been learning. Learning so much about myself and thinking so much about my country. Making comparisons all the damn time, pissing people off with my incessant observations, and becoming more and more determined to connect better with the place that I call home and with its many many MANY problems. And it has been amazing!

Gosh! This wasn't supposed to be this long. I had planned to stop 3 paragraphs ago with a sentence or two promising to make the effort to share more of myself. Blogging just hasn't been the same for a long while and I have been feeling very dissatisfied and disconnected. But I'm just glad I have finally begun to work out what was missing. Now this doesn't mean you'll be getting any insights into topics like the amazing, wonderful person I have recently let into my life in a way that I am not yet able to define (apologies to any nosy parkers). But I am definitely going to try and give more of me. Xxx

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey B

A thought provoking blog this is!!

A wise man once said, "if music be the food of love then play on". I say "if your words be the expression of life as you see it then by all means write on.."

I have been reading your blog for a while now and i must admit that i have been inspired, provoked, had ooh and aha moments, LOL'd at your humour and sometimes just agreed with you on a matter because I really didn't know any better. So you can say that your blog has been educative too!!

I really enjoy your peculiar writing style that is so you. I would say that you are well rounded for life in itself is not full of constant thought provoking instances but made up of all the apsects i recalled above from reading your blog.

I do agree that you need to be weary of what you share especially when you are involved, but don't stop being you. It's funny nowadays blogs where relationships are discussed or other encounters (if you catch my drift) are famous because it is the innate nature of human beings to like or gravitate towards gist.

You are a refreshing change to the blog world and I want to be the first to say thank you for adding your signature to it. I have been touched by your words, insights and adventures and I feel connected to you even though you are not around much. So thank you for freely sharing parts of you.

Wow! thats my 50 cents. I was just going to write a few lines since my previous comment was lost in translation.

Remember if your words be the expression of life thru your eyes then.... WRITE ON!!!

Ciao

An older somebody's perspective

TheAfroBeat said...

aaw @ anon's comment...here here bitchy! welcome back to YOU!!

i wud comment on all the fascinating comparisons btw india and nigeria but since you've already shared this w/ me, all that remains is for me to see for myself. i await my plane ticket in the post ;)

Anonymous said...

so deep bitchy so deep!!! lol You never called back! You might have a wrong number.

Naapali said...

To paraphrase Oliver before his meeting Mr. Brownlow: "Please ma'am, may I have some more?"

Anonymous said...

i noticed the same thing when i couldn't think of worthwhile comments to leave other than 'oh, you saw a tiger! marvelous!' i mean, that's precisely how i felt (tongue-in-cheekness aside) but it just didn't seem like it warranted my typing it out and telling it to you. so, yes, some of your recent posts have engaged me, but only in passing. maybe i'm taking huge liberties here but sometimes i got the impression that you were splashing about in your literary paddle-pool being content enough with churning out pretty sentences and sipping on coconuts (haha) that taking it a step further just seemed a bit of a bother when things were fine already.

i'm glad that isn't the case anymore (not sure that it was to begin with) and i hope that you will not only continue to write well, but to write well about the things that continue to make us think, post-commenting. no one's asking you to be the savior of blogsville, but a little more of your thought-provoking 20-something plus comments entries would be mighty nice :)

love the blog.

xx

Atutupoyoyo said...

Hmmm.....quirky Bitchy or thought provoking Bitchy? CanI just love you both?

b and anon say it succintly but I will reiterate...just write B.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

happy new yam to all the wonderful facets that are you!

Anonymous said...

Nice post bitchy but quit trippin'. Few countries can hold a candle to naija in the corruption and all round rottenness stakes but idealising the less corrupt ain't the solution. Hon', I hate to break the news to ya but there is crime in India, plenty of it - rape, theft, burglary, corruption you name it. There are starving kids begging on the streets while some folks are in the lap of luxury doing little to help. There is a man -currently I believe the richest (or one of the richest men in the world who is Indian, lives there yet had an article written up about him a little while ago on how he was building a fantastic house for his wife, etc, etc BUT had no record of any known charitable acts. Now one may think "well he wants to keep his business quiet" - but the reality is when you're that rich you need to show at least to some extent that you care about helping others, ya know? And let's not even talk about the caste system where some exclude and discriminate against their fellow Indians because they deem them of a "lower caste", driving them out of their society, refusing to eat their food, be touched by them etc. And have you heard how they treat widows? Girl it's usually "you killed your hubby till proven otherwise, begone with you"! Here in the UK one of the highest incidences of domestic violence (from the few who dare to report it) and female suicide is amongst - no prizes for guessing! Don't get me wrong - they probably on the whole have a strong moral sense. But we all know that this does not stop human beings from being...well...human. They have issues like the rest of the developing world, they just may be a little harder to see.

Anonymous said...

i totally know what u mean about de-personalizing ur blog. i think what happens is, when a blogger becomes more conscious of his/her blogger status, it hampers the freedom to just be.
people blog cuz they want to get stuff off their minds. when it seems like that has changed its harder to be as open...
anyway i'm done philosophizing. and, u definitely brought 'person' into this post.