Monday, December 31, 2007

Mista Fanutastiki & Me

Apologies are in order.

I have been sick (malaria plus flu plus basic body crash as a result of the incessant traveling). And I am in Lagos, as are a number of the (few) people in this world that I would give an arm and/ or a leg for. It was also my mother's birthday (think embarassing and downright hilarious karaoke party planned by yours truly), Christmas day, and my birthday (3 days ago. Yes, do feel free to sing "Happy Birthday" to me in your mind!) in the space of one week.

Before the year is up though, I want to blog about something. And have only just been hit by what feels to me like the best way to blog about the issue that I have now decided I am ready to blog about (in as discreet and non tongue-twisting a manner as is wise of course).

One thing I have never done, in my year and 4 months as a blogger, is share a work of fiction (however small) that is mine i.e. that I wrote, and then edited, and then ripped, and then re-wrote. And tonight, I have decided to copy and paste a small section from an as yet unfinished short story that I churned out sometime in the summer this year.

If you know me personally, or have been a regular (of sorts) on my blog, you will know that for a long time I thought being a writer of fiction, that is, adult, contemporary, cultural, and more specifically Nigerian, fiction, was the only way to go. Why? Because it is the form of literature that I connect best with, that inspires me the most, and that is able to (literally) blow my mind when it is done right. (You can see my 'A Nigerian, Afropolitan, African Brit' post if you're curious.)

But this year, I discovered (slowly and painfully) that, though fiction is where my heart is (and probably always will be), it is not the form of literary expression that comes easiest to me. In fact, you could say that, because I love (and desire to be) an afficionado of fiction (pardon the poor pun), it is the one area of expression via the written word that I find excruciatingly painful whenever I (after a long and tedious process of gearing myself up) decide to dive into it.

Before I go on and on (as I am always wont to do), I will stop myself from going into a detailed breakdown of the excerpt below's history. I will not talk about the (now abandoned) short story it was supposed to be a part of. Neither will I tell you about the day I forced myself to hack at it to the point where I felt (for the first time ever in my life) ready and content enough to read it aloud to a room full of talented (and inspiring) writers, at the head of which sat Chimamanda Adichie (whose 'Half of a Yellow Sun' was one of the above-described works that did (seriously) blow my mind). I know some of you will probably disagree with what I have just said, and whilst you are very much welcome to, [please insert Paris Hilton voice here] whaaaat ever!)

What I will however say about this excerpt is that I am putting it on my blog because I have finally met my own real life Mista Fanutastiki. And whilst he has nothing whatsoever in common (aside from his 'fabulousity', in my eyes) with the Mista Fanutastiki of the piece below, I wanted and (in a weird way) needed to put this scene up here. Perhaps because it will help him get to grips with how I feel about him (even though he knows it, because he literally does blow my mind, my heart and my everything)? Perhaps because it will help him understand why this razzo has gone from calling him "Mr. Fantastic" (in those cheesy moments) to calling him "Mista Fanutastiki" all the damn time (even in public!!)? And perhaps because in some weird way, it could potentially force me (especially as the New Year approaches) to grab hold of this talent I know I possess, but am as yet at a loss as to how best to turn into a fruitful, satisfying and seriously lucrative (kerrching!) career.

In exchange for this however, I must ask that you, as always, let me know exactly what your thoughts are (be honest, be brutal) about the blurb below. Perhaps I am a sicko, but because I truly am my own worst enemy, there is nothing I revel in more than a word or sentence of (constructive) criticism that points my attention to something that I hadn't even noticed in myself! :) I really do live for such moments.

Have a fantastic and blessed New Year everyone! And I'll be seeing you in 2008.

Yours,

B. Xxxx

---

Still Without A Title, Or A Home, Or Even A Short Story To Call Its Own

At the centre of the hall, the bride was being plastered with filthy naira notes. Her groom danced beside her, sweating profusely, enduring similar torture.

Gele and aso oke-decked bodies, gyrated and towered over them. Men in their white, crease-free agbadas. Buxom women readjusting their red and gold, or blue and gold, aso ebi (that indicated whether they were with the bride’s or the groom’s family). Their faces, plump with good food, champagne, London’s Dry Gin, betrayed their complete oblivion to the sweat trickling down their necks, mingling with coral beads, gold, and diamond necklaces.

Loud drumming and music, courtesy of Ibadan’s finest Fuji band, filled the room. Onstage, the self-acclaimed Fuji Fantastics shimmered in silver shirts and tight black trousers, the drummer and saxophonist sported crew cuts and sunglasses, the guitarists, an array of Afros, of varying heights and widths.

The lead singer, resplendent in a white waistcoat and matching trousers, bellowed into the microphone. “Wo n pe mi, Mista Fanutastiki. Patty people, I say, Gerron Down! Oyaaaa! Jo fun mi!”

His back-up singers wriggled their waists and hips in short silver dresses, the sparkling tassels on their wrists flaying in time with their long black hair.

“Jo, jo, jo…” came their reply.

Ceiling fans, swiped lethargically through the air, displacing balloon bouquets and streamers, doing little to quell the damp on the foreheads and underarms.

The room was like an oven, already preheated. Poised, to brown a chicken.

---

You may, at this juncture, feel free to rain a tirade of insults on me (for making all that noise, or for being a lazy bugger), because it really and truly does end here ;) Xxx

21 comments:

TheAfroBeat said...

INSERT TIRADE OF INSULTS HERE.

BIG HISS...What is this? there's nothing to even comment on? will you sharply put sth that is more than a minute long and warrants an entire comment. put up the whole story jare, as short as it is. oya, gerron down!

HAPPY New Year o, i await your call so that we can gist that gist you just sent the email about.

Ms Sula said...

That is so not fair!!! :) I was getting into it, had a very good mind image of the colors... and then nothing. :)

But if this is the premise of what's to come, you should definitely focus on becoming a fiction writer. The level of details and the building up (is that even an expression, lol!) of Anticipation are spot on.

Great work.

(and yes, I'm a new commenter but I have earned the right to appreciate your work: I read the blog thru and thru. I am a dork like that. Lol!)

Happy New Year and have a fanutastiki time with Mr.Fanutastiki. ;)

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

WARNING: LONG COMMENT AHEAD. SORRY.
Okay, aunty Bitchy, since you claim you want the truth, let me "gerron down" to giving you my honest thoughts.

First paragraph: it was too quick, not enough to set the mood to come. And the description of the bride left a little to be desired. What was she wearing? What were her facial expressions? How was her groom dancing? shaking his hips? Simply moving his feet? I want more. What about the filthy notes? Describe them. Tie their filth to lying within the bosoms of Oshodi market women. Catch my drift?

Certain words, as you know, will paint a picture so efficiently that the author can use much less words than us ordinary writers. I searched for such terms and I know you used "gyrated" and "towered" in a sentence. Believe me, my mind created the picture. However, there weren't enough descriptive terms to not only create a picture but also trigger smells. You know what I mean? I enjoy being able to create a 'full' picture which would include sounds, colors, tastes and smells.

I hope I make some sense. But in case I don't let me mention that you are incredibly brave to allow your work to be shared in this medium and offer it to the gods of blogville for criticism. lol! This is a great effort ad something tells me you set us up by putting this here. I am sure you have gems stashed away that you aren't sharing. Not fair. lol!

And, this Mr. Fanutastiks...haba? What happened to Mr. Italiano and Monsier Francais that you were talking about not too long ago? I swear you creative types...your lives na wa oh. Anyway, make I carry myself go look TK, TE and Bomboy. They are a little quiet which suggests that they are being naughty.

Happy New Yam, happy belated bday and God's blessings to you and yours, my sista. (Sorry for the extra long comment.)

Atutupoyoyo said...

Your writing ability has never been in doubt my dear B. I have said before that you have the rare gift of turning the mundane into the fantastic. However after reading this I feel a bit like the diner who is asked to comment on the quality of a three course meal after being served merely an aperitif. The excerpt is really far too short to make any sort of critique on it hun. In the inimitable words of Britney Spears, "Gimme gimme more"

In other news I am dying to hear more about Mr Fantastic. I can just about hear the collective sound of male hearts breaking all across blogsville and beyond.

Anonymous said...

I second atutu like totally..{ am too lazy to have or even write a critical comment of my own}

Jaja {Bitchy's abandoned blogsville boyfriend. Who still sulks whenever he remembers how it once was}

P.S
How you dey? Happy new year.But you know that I love you. eh?

Naapali said...

Oluwabitchyola,

Merry Xmas, Happy Birthday, Happy New Year. Your preamble was as long as your short story was truly short.

So it reads like act one, scene one, Yoruba wedding reception.
What did I like; You painted a picture of a hot room on a hot day. I particularly liked the line about the lethargic fans swiping balloon bouquets yet doing nothing to damp the perspiration on foreheads and armpits. I still recall that there is nothing quite as ripe as a roomful of unshaven, odorized, moist naija armpits. I notice you tried to explain aso-ebi or at least the reason behind the colors, yet left the Yoruba song lines uninterpreted. Was that deliberate? One problem I had with Sefi Atta's brilliant "Every Good Thing Will Come" was her efforts to always explain naijaisms to her non-naija audience within the text (I think this is better done in a glossary) detracting from the flow of the story. I do think your lines are very short and seem to end abruptly. In the context of a short blurb I do not know if this is complimentary or detrimental to your story. As a writing style it tends to work better when the intent is for the story to be fast paced with quick transitions. I dont think it works as well if trying to describe a sweaty, languid party scene as you started out doing.

I do hope you reveal more of your fiction even as you reveal more of yourself.
I look forward to an even more Bitchyfied year, and hope my muse returns from India.

Sugabelly said...

I write, and......... I like it! Do you know why? Because it's atypical. And it immediately made me feel caught up in the life of Nigerians. I don't know why, but it made me feel like I was in the middle of an artsy French (read Nigerian) film, shot in black and white but with certain portions in achingly vivid colour.

Can't tell why. I would love to read the rest of this. I'm not sure this piece is a great opening passage for a full story, but it would open well for a chapter within the story.

Bitchy said...

Oh dear, sorry guys. Yes, I forgot to mention that this scene literally comes smack bang in the middle of my 'story' (it doesn't come at the beginning), but then the story doesn't have a tail as yet, and I haven't actually tried to work on it since August, so umm... I think it's kinda dead. Teehee! But who knows? Maybe I'll start to work on something new?

Miss Sula - Welcome! Will sheck your blog out in a minute

Toots - My darling, it has broken my heart to hear the effect my news has had on yours. But I assure you that Mr. Fanutastiki really is everything I've built him up to be, so be happy for me. Yaay!!

Jaja - My love! Did you read Farafina 12? I owe you an email, I am so sorry. I want to hear about NYSC and all that jazz.

Nappy - Sorry, yes I should've explained better. It wasn't act one scene one. And thanks so much for the point about the aso ebi. I didn't want that in there, but I kinda felt like I needed it. Will take it out and see how I feel. Thanks!! And I hope you're having a fantabulous holiday too?

Shugarbee - An artsy French film shot in black and white but with portions in achingly vivid colour? Oh wow! I'm glad I impressed you :)

Bitchy said...

Oops Solly, how did I forget you? Thanks for your comment oh. I think it was about time you paid me back with an epistle-sized comment. Lol! Happy New Year to Husband, TK, TE and Bomboy. And yes oh Mista Fanutastiki has indeed bounced all those Europeans from my horizon. I'm back to being loved up by a good ol' dudu dude! Teehee! Xxx

Anonymous said...

Now that the cheap,red wine effect of last has simmered let me attempt to say something meaningful.

His back-up singers wriggled their waists and hips in short silver dresses, the sparkling tassels on their wrists flaying in time with their long black hair.

Its the kind of sentences I like..

but the thing is too short abeg.. what s your own sef...

Anonymous said...

u've commented on comments so i will comment no more. i noted solomonsydelle's comments but cannot totally agree because whether or not u intended to still take all that into consideration, we would never know.
write more, definitely.
happy new year.
hey are u still around? going for the party today??

Flowers and Poetry said...

Like you, cultural and contemporary fiction is the form of literature I connect best with. I would sincerely feel fulfilled if I wrote a book in that genre, but I still battle daily with doubts about my own abilities.

I reckon we all have to start from somewhere, even if it means taking baby steps at first.

Like Atutupoyoyo said earlier, you genuinely do have a knack for turning the mundane into the fantastic. Well done!

sickerfaint said...

erm...imagine my excitement as i read your epistle gushing showers of adolescent compliments on your mr fantastic's head....i was sure the real extract would hopefully just as long perhaps not so cheese drenched...only to be faced with that tiny thing..i blinked and i missed it...im sorry i just cant comment on that..make it longer then ill tell you...altho as a permanent unqualified critic, im thinking im very proud of you for finally taking the plunge...buttttt if youre going to tread on this special territory namely culture related stories, im personally going to need more colourful detail.because i know what ure trying to describe i can picture it.. ive heard you tell stories with more "dramatics"...do it here matey

xxxxxxx

rukks

Thirty + said...

I am convince this post was written under malariatic effects
Oya come and finish Mr Fantastiqyou one time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Atutupoyoyo said...

Come on B! Pull your finger out.

Jaja said...

Fear not My Bitchy, it is only fiction. No such anume exists... :). Your position is totally unrivalled, unchallenged.

Anonymous said...

one of those mind blowers, huh? they're wonderful :)

enjoy!

x

uknaija said...

Happy New Year and congratulations on posting this, having read all the comments, there's little to add- you can write, though, of that I'm so certain

Anonymous said...

nbo l'o wa?

where are you?????? UPDATE!!

Toksboy said...

Madam are you still under the spell? Nothing for weeks.Na wa oh.Just abandoned us like that?

Anonymous said...

Lol! why are you scared now, twas a good (abrupt) story. But it was more on the funny side...i wont take it serious (maybe cos you are just a joker)...focus on the humour i think.

Blog on