Sunday, October 21, 2007

La Belle Salope Dans Un Hôtel Moche

Just as there are loonies on the loose in New York, it turns out that there are crazy people on the rampage in Paris. I am yet to encounter them, as I only arrived this afternoon, but my friend assured me this evening, that they are everywhere. Unlike their North American cousins however, they don't howl or dance or kick things in the street. They look like boys, young boys, young boys dressed in street gear. Apparently their madness only exhibits itself (think screws loosening rapidly) when poor unsuspecting females respond to their snappy, fiery questions. I have been told not to say "Pardon" or "Excusez-moi" or anything of the sort when (not if) I encounter this rabid species. My instructions are to walk away and blank them completely, or babble back at them in rapid English. The latter, apparently, will be almost as effective as a bout of pepper spray (which by the way I also carry with me - a gift from my very paranoid Maman).

The end of my brief stay in New York was rather eventful, but not in the way I had anticipated.

The Saturday that followed my last blog post brought with it a mission to Ellis Island, which we aborted barely 10 minutes into the voyage due to an unforeseen and completely unexpected battle with a disgruntled, ageing nincompoop at the Post Office, which lasted for close to an hour. At one point things got so heated that I thought he said "Alright Bitch" to me (when in fact he said "Alright Mitch" to the guy next to him) and began to roll up my sleeves whilst plotting the best route via which to launch a hefty slap in his direction through the bullet-proof glass barrier that separated us. (Yeah right! I would probably have injured myself if I'd made any such move. I did get very angry though - at least that part is true!)

Also on Saturday, I managed to catch a showing of Tings Dey Happen, Dan Hoyle's one-man play at the Culture Project, which turned out to be hilarious beyond belief. I hadn't expected to enjoy it, after scanning through the lame signboard erected in the theatre's waiting area. I believe its title was something like 'Pidgin for Beginners', and its contents ranged from ennervating entries like "Dey = To Be", to equally irritating ones like "Na so? = Is that true?" But from the moment Dan (think skinny white guy with a rather odd/ overly-expressive face) walked onto the stage, my two compadrés and I found ourselves howling like a bunch of cheetahs. Aside from a lady behind us (the only other Nigerian in the room), it was pretty much our shrieking and laughter reverberating around the room the entire time. The oyinbo audience just did not get it. I suppose they either hadn't come prepared to find humour in the dark dank subject of the Niger Delta, or were having as much trouble understanding Dan's pidgin as they would a Korean monologue (and it probably didn't help that their hair colour was predominantly grey too - me thinks they were mostly retired university intellectuals/diplomats plus spouses/partners). The range of characters (of all shapes, sizes, tribes, accents) played by Dan was truly impressive! My absolute favourite was Sylvanus, an obsequious, opportunistic Port-Harcourt man with a wonderfully Igbotic (sorry, 'Eastern-Nigerian') accent who served as the humorous stage manager/assistant between scenes. But all the others were so well done, even Asari-Dokubo!

Obviously the sketches weren't just about humour, as all the characters together provided an eagle-eye view of the different interests at play in the ongoing Niger-Delta crisis (even though much-needed portrayals of at least one swindling state governor and one oil-company big dawg were notably amiss). But I'm afraid that's as far as my socio-economico-political analysis is going to go for now, (a) because my specialty is fluff, not serious topics, and (b) because the weird wireless here in Paris has slowed my Macbook down to an excruciating pace! I really hope these people aren't sending me a virus!

After Tings Dey Happen, came dinner and belly-dancing at L'Orange Bleue, a vigorous street-fight with some Latinos who stole our cab (using words though - I would never let anyone violent near my hair), a spot of clubbing (who says that?) and then a very piggy, very lazy Sunday, followed by a near flight-miss.

And after a very busy week in London, I am now in Paris, where it is almost 10pm and an alluring (albeit stingy and disappointingly flat) pillow is calling (nay, crooning) to me.

Bon Nuit Xxx

9 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Seems like you had a fabulous time in NYC! Beware of the louts in Paris and have a great visit!

TheAfroBeat said...

TINGS DEY OCCUUUUUR!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bitchy

Paris is fanatastic for shopping and food as you may already know... try out Ciel de Paris on the 56th floor of the tallest building in Montparnasse Paris, with an amazing views - tres romantique pour deux

1

Ekoakete said...

Saw a couple of clips of Dan Hoyle's performance on youtube and you're right it's hilarious. I suppose you have to be somewhat familiar with different 'flavours' of Nigerians out there to get a kick out the performance though.

Enjoy Paris

Moody Crab said...

Beacoup fou de personnes à Paris ! Ayez l'amusement et oh, sont vous descendant à Cote d 'Azur?

Anonymous said...

Ah Paris.... Lol.... What fun. usually there for Premiere vision fabric fair with a bunch of gay fashion friends... oh the things we do! J'amour Paris. I got accosted by some Parisian men..... My fault, I thought I'd practice my french so I asked them a question..... what a big mistake.... was funny though.... I hope you went shopping in paris.... it's brilliant...loads of gorgeous vintage shops as well as the usual....
And the men in paris... I forget the name of the area that's really fashionable for going out, as I tend to follow people rather than pay attention to where I'm going..... the men were so beautiful... all these bohemian types... love them... ah paris!!! lol.

D has been to Newyork twice... she has some fantastic stories to tell about the crazy peeps there. I can't wait to get my butt over there!

Sugabelly said...

Ha ha, about murdering the language!

Well you did. You must never use "trop" and beaucoup" next to each other. "Trop" means too much, and "Beaucoup" means a lot.

So what you should have said was "Il y a trop patisseries."

But I'm glad you're back. I love the way you write. You inspire me on a dull, grey morning. Here's to adventuring through life!

Bitchy said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

And urmm.. to Sugabelly, LOL, a very BIG thank you. Does the correction please you? Lol!

Oh and @ Anon, thanks so so much for the tip. Xxxx

Ms Sula said...

Oh My God!! I was just in New York a couple of weeks ago and I saw the play! Dan is a friend of mine, and I was blown away by his insights!

I kept talking about it to friends but nobody ever heard of it... He's actually set to start in London in January!

So cool that someone else has seen it!