Monday, July 09, 2007

In My Other City

In two days, my bathroom has flooded (wrecking my favourite pair of shoes that I left in the dressing room next door), our tyre has burst on the way home from the airport, and my phone has been barred by Celtel for no apparent reason.

This all screams "Welcome to Lagos" really, as it's nothing new, but I just thought it uncanny that such petty things should occur so soon into my trip.

I left Beijing this time last week, and did something I never thought possible - I travelled for 24 hours straight! When I left B's flat, it was 3.30am Beijing time (8.30pm Lagos and London time) and when I walked into my flat in London, it was a few minutes to midnight. Oops forgive the bad maths, I travelled for even more than 24 hours!

The whole thing was a nightmare. From the weird gothic Spanish "fashion designer" who attached himself to me on the Beijing-Dubai leg and couldn't keep his bitterness about life and everything in it to himself, to the 5 hour wait in Dubai (where I was forced to watch a razz Naijaman scratching his crotch whilst using the computer beside me), to the broken seat Emirates expected me to pass 7 hours squidging my butt on, to the noisy crew of 18 year old Bengali boys desperate to impress with their tales of club-hopping and skirt-staring, to the drunk African man screaming at the top of his lungs about Britain's pillaging of Africa whilst we touched down in Heathrow, to the ride home on the frickin tube (The Heathrow Express was cancelled because of the stupid Glasgow men).

It's no wonder I fell ill on my arrival in London, but after some serious retail therapy on Friday I was miraculously cured of my ailment, and managed to catch my flight to Lagos on Friday night with little trouble.

I will be here for a long time, unless of course the opportunity to go to South Africa that I've been squeezing a certain person for presents itself. I may even go to the Bloggers' thing Jeremy and Toks are planning (unless it really turns into the '1st Annual Convention of the Confederation of Nigerian Bloggers' or other such formal event that it's beginning to resemble), or the Shakira, Diddy and John Legend extravaganza, or the 'Season for Soyinka' at Terra Kulture. Who knows where the wind will take this bitch? Teehee! Stay tuuuuuned!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

So how long you in Lagos for? And how come you have the time to travel around so much? You just finished a degree, is that right? So you're going to meet lots of bloggers! What fun! Or maybe strange... You'll have to blog about it!

Jaja said...

Is Port Harcourt anywhere in your itinerary plan?
Or am I going to have to come to Lagos? (Ok, fear not. Am no stalker)
But anyway enjoy your stay… and holla when you can
cheers

uknaija said...

welcome home

Anonymous said...

Hello Stranger! You sound like you've been busy! :)

x mwah x

Unknown said...

Thank God I've found someone that wears my size...pls im in London in August can you tell me where to buy shoes????Pls reply to Chimmapet@gmail.com Thanks

Ekoakete said...

Nice! China today, Lagos tomorrow. I envy you O. Do keep your blog updated. I'll be very interested to read what you get up to. Have fun & be safe!

Mimi said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww i wanna come for the bloggersss meeting toooooooo!

Toksboy said...

Bitchy. Formal gathering ke? God forbid bad thing oh. This is meant to be a fun event where we can all chill out and enjoy ourselves trying to guess who is who. Now that I know your shoe size I am sure you will not be too difficult to spot (and don't be hiding then under a kaftan oh!). I am also in Lagos at the moment.

cinnamonqueen said...

sounds like some journey that was, and some arrival. enjoy your time in lagos and good luck for s.a.

Ms zee said...

where you at?? please come back... come back please...

Christian Writer said...

Okay, I'm confused. How long are you in Lagos for or are just mouthing off? Either way, when you come back to dirty, stinking London, give us a bell and we'll do coffee. Or, l'll do coffee and you'll do your smoothie seeing as you don't do caffeine. Whatever. Just give a bell, girl. LOL

Unknown said...

Well, i just dropped by to let you know of a competition that is running at the africanloft.

www.africanloft.com

Pls, participate.



Ps: 600 words is just a page..

Jaja said...

Where the hell is my Bitchy?

Noni Moss said...

Ok like update already! I've been coming back everyday and it's getting tired! :-D People shouldn't be allowed to have that much fun if it means they don't update their blogs.

Bitchy said...

I apologise for being so shyte at responding to comments guys! I'm becoming such a lazy blogger... Yeesh! ;-P

bArOquE said...

sorry you had to witness every of such madness during your 5hour wait, especially when your ears have started hurting from the continuous use of earphones.

bArOquE said...

'1st Annual Convention of the Confederation of Nigerian Bloggers'. BRILLIANT. I’m imagining an exclusive party where people still choose to be anonymous, KEWL!

Anonymous said...

jus went thru almost ur entire blog, and i feel like i can finally legitimately say i like your blog!
(althought i really think maybe i jus like the idea of someone who calls herself bitchy so proudly)..
anyway at the risk of blabbing pointlessly,
i'm done!