Monday, April 09, 2007

Pants on Fire

What a lazy arse I've been.

I wish I could say I've been doing something particularly exciting these last 3 weeks, but I can't.

Sorry.

I've been basking in the glory of my previous post which so many people, surprisingly, found hilarious.

After all that glory-basking, I realised that nothing worth reporting or even remotely funny had happened to me, and I couldn't bear the thought of coming on here to spout some carelessly-constructed trash only to receive 2 or 3 pity comments.

But I have now decided that time is fast running out.

So I'm taking the plunge. Screw you if you don't find me funny. Even the pros take time off!

Now, aside from the acute laziness, the glory-basking and the failure-fearing, I've been experiencing a record amount of eye-opening during my 'mini-sabbatical'. Below are some of the random things I've 'discovered' of late that I rightly/wrongly feel are worth sharing:

1 - People lie.

The hair-do I moaned about last time received rave reviews from friends in London. Indeed, after all their ooing and cooing, I considered coming on here to do a retraction and put in a little praise for Feline. Until I came to Lagos. Barely within an hour of my arrival, my father asked why I was wearing a wig. He wasn't being malicious. He was genuinely curious. My brother, independently, then asked the same question 2 hours after that. And then a couple of days later, my newly-appointed esthetician (who has promised to rid me of all unwelcome inhabitants on my forehead) asked me to take my wig off so she could get a proper look at my face!!

2 - The Yote lies.

The liars are not confined to London alone it seems. On Friday, I was filling the Yote's sister in on the disastrous hairdo I had only that morning rid myself of, when the Yote chirped into the convo reinforcing and demonstrating just how disastrous the hairdo had been. I turned to him, mouth agape, at which point he stated matter of factly that the hair had looked incredibly fake, but he hadn't wanted to have to sit through another hair-inspired crying episode, so he hadn't said anything. This is the same Yote who had pretended (six days before that) not to be able to see any difference between my "do" and my real hair. There are no words.

3 - I too am a member of 'Liars R Us'.

I have never been on an okada, or a danfo, or molue, and I can count the number of times I've been in a taxi (in Lagos) on one hand. There is always light in my house, and there are no mosquitoes. I've never been anywhere dangerous or remotely exciting like Agindingbi, Shomolu, Oshodi, Mile 2 (or is it Mile 12?) or any of those places. I'm a sheltered brat frollicking in what can only properly be described as a doll-cage. This realisation isn't exactly groundbreaking, but it did make me feel rather foolish the day it dawned on me last week. Prior to the realisation, I had always thought of myself as a hardened Lagosian, who knew all there was to know, was the epitome of 'hardcore', and was on a par with any rough rider. I don't know what I was thinking really, considering that I haven't actually lived in Lagos for the last 9 years. I suppose the person I'd been comparing myself to was the Yote, who couldn't even get from Ikoyi to Chocolat Royal without directions a couple of months ago. (I love you boo!) How misguided was I?

To sum up therefore...

I am an outsider in Lagos. And it hurts to say it. Disarming this long-concocted delusion has not been good for my sense of self, I tell you. I also have friends who tell me what they think I want to hear - I can't quite tell if this is a good or a bad thing yet. My guess is its more bad than good. Furthermore I have a boyfriend who feels my constant hair woes are a form of superficial hypochondria. The same boyfriend also got just a tad frustrated during the week, when I tried, and failed, to explain why I suddenly felt so alienated and detached from Lagos. His point was that 'Lagos' is full of so many different types of people who undergo completely different experiences everyday, in which there're unlikely to be many commonalities. I couldn't pinpoint the exact aspect of Lagos I felt distant from, neither could I articulate my sentiments to the satisfaction of the Yote, but all I knew was that I was more than overwhelmed by how estranged I was from the entire Lagos experience.

I wonder what other people hold onto when seeking to define themselves as Lagosians? Are there specific characteristics/experiences that define the Lagosian? Or is every person's identification of himself as a Lagosian based on his personal (and internal) determination of what constitutes a Lagosian?

Help!

Oh and by the way, my newly-opened eyes and I will be on the look out for more treachery. I intend to expose the scam that is West African Idol soon. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Remi Fagbohun said...

Sometimes giving yourself a label limits you. Everyone has a different view on what they think is a full fledged Lagosian.
But either way, it shouldnt define who you are.

You have had a priviledged life, be happy about that. Not being able to talk about or relate to some parts of Lagos does not make you any less a Lagosian.

sickerfaint said...

ok so no lies??? YOUR GLASSES WERE WACKITY WACK WACK WACK!!!

muhahahahahaha..

i still maintain... your "wig" was nice...
x

TheAfroBeat said...

disclaimer: Be advised...these are the idle ramblings of a tired college student at 4:15am on a Friday nite/Saturday morning.

hmm tough one bitchy. Firstly, can i just say, i don't know the etiquette regarding weaves since i dont wear them, but i thought it's considered rude to ask if it's a weave or to say things like, "i like ur weave". so whenever i see your hair, i'll say i like or dislike your hair, it's urs if you've got the receipt right? so even if it looked like a wig, i still liked the cut, and wasn't about to say sth as rude as "i like your wig". anyways, on to more poignant issues...

I've never considered or dared to call myself a "Lagosian" (maybe coz i associate it wt those obnoxious yorubas :) who claim ikorodu till they die and will descend on you if you dare call urself a lagosian in their midsts), and so, i usually say I'm FROM Lagos, born and bred, though my parents are from delta and ondo. Though i can definitely count the number of times i've been in a taxi on more than 1 hand, i, like you, haven't been to many of the hard core locations, etc, but don't think it makes me any more Lagosian. I guess it's the born and bred thing. Home for me is where I spent my formative years, where my childhood memories will always lie, no matter how much of a madhouse the place has evolved into, it is home. I can whine, scream n curse (As you know i do when i encounter the terrible customer service) at the annoying idiosyncrasies that make Lagos Lagos, but it's what i know, live and breathe (even from 200,000 miles away). I've never felt that feeling of complete home-ness anywhere else in the world, and though i still live in constant paranoia of being held at gun point, I'll take the bad with the good (don't ask me for the latter).

Bitchy said...

@ Bluntremi - Thanks. I think you're right... the problem probably started with defining myself as a Lagosian in the first place, and holding onto that so tightly as a means of maintaining a connection btw myself and the country I was spending only a few months a year in.

@ Rukks - Yes you were honest about the wack glasses. I will give you that much. The hair nko? Did you say it looked like a wig? Scheeuuuwww!

@ Noni - At least you speak Yoruba!! I don't speak nada.. Can you see why I have issues? Lol!

@ Mimik - Next time you'd better say "I like your wig"!!! At least that way I'll know. I was just annoyed cuz I had major issues with the hair and only started to calm down when ppl like Rukks and yourself said it was nice, only to get worked up again! Lol! I think I still share the feeling of complete home-ness that you talked about. I just also feel like I'm so removed from the place at the same time. There is so much I have absolutely no clue about and never engage in. When next we're both in town at the same time, you and I are going to the SHRINE for Phase 1 of "Getting Acquainted". Teehee!

culturalmiscellany said...

Babe, if you felt an outsider in Lagos imagine how I felt. When we met you definitely looked more at home than me :) I loved my stay though and weirdly felt less stared at in Lagos than London when with Tosin.